17" MBP i7 - worth it to upgrade? And a RAM question....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timnosenzo, May 25, 2010.

  1. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

    timnosenzo

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2004
    Location:
    ct, us
    #1
    I currently have a 17" 2.8GHz MBP, it's the previous edition just replaced in this latest release (purchased about a year ago). I'm considering selling my current MBP and replacing it with the new i7, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm a photographer and do all of my editing on this laptop, so any boost in speed *should* help my workflow. I'm also a p/t student, so I qualify for academic pricing, and the free iPod they're currently offering.

    So do you think its worth upgrading? Think I'll notice a speed increase? Based on similar prices I've found online, the upgrade will probably wind up costing me a few hundred bucks, so we're not talking about a ton of money here, but it won't be worth it if I won't notice a performance increase.

    Also, would the RAM in my current MBP work in an i7? The specs look the same on Crucial.com, but their part numbers are different.

    Thanks!
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
  3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

    Jaro65

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
  4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

    dsprimal

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2010
    #4
    i wouldn't buy directly through apple, i would just buy aftermarket. cheaper + better (in some cases).
     
  5. timnosenzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

    timnosenzo

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2004
    Location:
    ct, us
    #5
    Thanks for the responses. I don't think an SSD is in the cards--I need a 500GB, and they're like $1500. :eek:
     
  6. mingoglia macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    #6
    Honestly, you have a great machine. If I were to put myself in your shoes, I don't believe the ends justify the means. I don't think you're going to see that much of a difference for the amount of cash you're going to plop down. Now if you have another reason such as moving to a anti-glare screen then it may be a bit more worth it. I just wouldn't go through the hassle and cost for a bit faster processor unless you're crunching video all day long.

    Mike
     
  7. tim100 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 25, 2009
    #7
    i went from a 2.8 c2d 17 inch to an i7 anti glare 17 MBP.
     
  8. waynema macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    Location:
    Hong Kong
    #8
    wait for the Quadcore mobile i7 to come out. SSD system upgrade is $ better spent for you right now. Put your 500gb in optibay.
     
  9. Jaxdialation macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2010
    #9
    I had the same thought. I have an i7 17" which I use extensively with CS5 and lightroom. I installed an OWC SSD and these two apps benefit a -lot- from it. It is very obvious.

    I think these apps test the drive more than the video or processor. The SSD
    could be just what you need, and you can keep it if you do sell.



     

Share This Page