Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Why the 17" don't come with a SD slot as compare to the 15". I know its easy by slotting a card reader. But card reader can also get spoilt easily. Isn't it a step backwards?

Good assumption it will incorporate in the new version?

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
Why the 17" don't come with a SD slot as compare to the 15". I know its easy by slotting a card reader. But card reader can also get spoilt easily. Isn't it a step backwards?

It doesn't have one because it has an expresscard slot, which believe me, I'd rather have that then this sd reader. It's completely useless to me.

MartyF81

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Chicago IL
It doesn't have one because it has an expresscard slot, which believe me, I'd rather have then this sd reader. It's completely useless to me.

Agreed. I use CF cards in my D-SLR and having an SD reader is useless to me. I am glad my 17 MBP has the Express Slot so I can use a CF Card Reader.

mpr131

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2007
Washington, DC
It all depends on what you use your machine for. For me, removing the express slot from the 15 was the step backwards. I also think it was a secret plan by Apple to get me--yes just me--to buy a 17.

I hope the it stays with the 17 in future revisions.

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
It all depends on what you use your machine for.

Yeah, I think this sums it up well. I have a 2010 17 inch and would have liked to have had an SD card reader for my camera. I think at this point I'll buy an adapter, no big deal. As far as a "step backward", well, I think that may be going a bit too far.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Yea I'm glad mine has an express card slot rather than a permanent SD card slot on the side.

I'm thinking about buying my first D-SLR camera and if most of these uses a different type of card rather than the SD I'd be screwed! Either way if you need an SD card slot just buy an add on through the express card slot. Better yet you can probably buy an express card slot with multicard solution.

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
i see your point, i was surprised it did not have 2 usb ports + SD card slot + express port, but it was apples decision =D and i love my 15" with the sd card slot, my dslr/go pro helmet cam run on SD cards so it amazing!!!

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
edit: I came up with a much better analogy.

Your SD Card slot can do this:
sd-card.jpeg

The Ex34 slot..well..:

it-only-does-everything.jpg

(including ^)

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010

SD Card Reader
Nail-Clipper.JPG

ExpressCard
201001012058320.super%20tool%20300.jpg

I prefer the ExpressCard

What does SD Card Reader do?
Read SD Cards

What does ExpressCard do?
Ethernet/Modem
Wireless card
Firewire/USB/Esata ports
TV Tuners
Sound cards
Video Cards
SD+other similar product readers

TopHatPlus

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
Southern Ontario
haha you guys are 100% correct the express slot does a lot more, but i don't want a 17" and i can take up to 4000 photos ina weekend and 60 GB in HD video when i go street boarding or to some friends motocross racing, so the SD card slot is amazing, lol SD card slot > usb 2.0 cables =D

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
haha you guys are 100% correct the express slot does a lot more, but i don't want a 17" and i can take up to 4000 photos ina weekend and 60 GB in HD video when i go street boarding or to some friends motocross racing, so the SD card slot is amazing, lol SD card slot > usb 2.0 cables =D

Then get an SDXC Card reader for it!

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010

It's not really a step backwards as I believe that the older versions had an ExpressCard slot, not an SD Card slot, and that the SD Card slot is new to the 2008+ MBP. I could be mistaken.

IN any event, I'm with you. Of everything my 17" brings to the table there are three things that drive me bat ship insane about it.

1. No SD Card slot. Yes, I know, ExpressCard "does more", but if all you care about is reading SD cards, having to buy a $40 adapter to do a basic function feels wrong. Plus some inserts don't seat properly.
  2. Having all of the ports on the left side of the MBP is annoying. For whatever reason I always sit on the far left of my couch and all of my devices are to the right of the MacBook Pro. I have to wrap cables around to the left side and it's a nightmare to manage.
  3. The LOUD clicking trackpad compared to the 13". Have no idea what the deal is on that one, but it really irritates me. The tap doesn't always register and I hate tapping in any case, but the trackpad is so obscenely loud I'm forced to tap so as not to deal with it.

That last one seems to have always been an issue with the 17" since going to the glass trackpad though.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I love the SD card slot~ I had the MBP 17" i5 before, the express card is totally useless "FOR ME". It's also really ugly when u plug something there...

Nowadays, most of the digital devices like camera are using SD card, which is very common. That's why Apple decided to made this port happen. Apple WON'T and never put something there is useless~ you know...

Now even the Mac Mini got the SD card slot as well. That means Apple can see how popular is the SD card going to be~

Once again... is really personal, get what you need and use it. You will be happy :)

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
but then i would have to get a 17" and i really do not want one, i love the size of my 15" although it still seems HUGE compared to my old 13"
I wish they would restore it on the 15"
It's not really a step backwards as I believe that the older versions had an ExpressCard slot, not an SD Card slot, and that the SD Card slot is new to the 2008+ MBP. I could be mistaken.

IN any event, I'm with you. Of everything my 17" brings to the table there are three things that drive me bat ship insane about it.

1. No SD Card slot. Yes, I know, ExpressCard "does more", but if all you care about is reading SD cards, having to buy a $40 adapter to do a basic function feels wrong. Plus some inserts don't seat properly.
  2. Having all of the ports on the left side of the MBP is annoying. For whatever reason I always sit on the far left of my couch and all of my devices are to the right of the MacBook Pro. I have to wrap cables around to the left side and it's a nightmare to manage.
  3. The LOUD clicking trackpad compared to the 13". Have no idea what the deal is on that one, but it really irritates me. The tap doesn't always register and I hate tapping in any case, but the trackpad is so obscenely loud I'm forced to tap so as not to deal with it.

That last one seems to have always been an issue with the 17" since going to the glass trackpad though.
Maybe Apple could include a SD Reader Expresscard/34
I love the SD card slot~ I had the MBP 17" i5 before, the express card is totally useless "FOR ME". It's also really ugly when u plug something there...

Nowadays, most of the digital devices like camera are using SD card, which is very common. That's why Apple decided to made this port happen. Apple WON'T and never put something there is useless~ you know...

Now even the Mac Mini got the SD card slot as well. That means Apple can see how popular is the SD card going to be~

Once again... is really personal, get what you need and use it. You will be happy :)

the Mac Mini lost the fifth USB slot for an SD Reader
Most SD Readers sit flush in the slot

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It's really obnoxious that the 17" and even the 15" MBP's don't have an SD slot and an express card slot. I know there's something about space and all, but I have a 13" Dell that's thinner than the MBP, with an SD slot and an express card slot. It's not that it can't be done, Apple just doesn't want to.

Same with eSata.

/end rant :mad:

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
but then i would have to get a 17" and i really do not want one, i love the size of my 15" although it still seems HUGE compared to my old 13"

I agree. The 15" is the perfect desktop replacment to me. I had a 17" for awhile, and loved it at first... but it was just too big. It felt unnatural in my lap, I couldn't fit it in my bag, and it was heavy. I missed my 15" sorely, and switched back to it. It's just perfect. The screen is just big enough and at a high enough resolution to be as productive as a desktop top to me, for 80% of the things. If only I had an ExpressCard slot :mad:.

Reapur

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010

I think you and the OP are missing the entire point of the 17" MBP. The computer is targeted towards creative professionals that will utilize the high resolution display and then backup all their Photos/Video on external drives using eSata via ExpressCard 34. Any pro photographer uses Compact Flash cards not SD cards in their cameras. If you think your 600 dollar consumer DSLR that uses SD cards is a pro tool you are sadly mistaken. Sorry to burst your bubble!

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I think you and the OP are missing the entire point of the 17" MBP. The computer is targeted towards creative professionals that will utilize the high resolution display and then backup all their Photos/Video on external drives using eSata via ExpressCard 34. Any pro photographer uses Compact Flash cards not SD cards in their cameras. If you think your 600 dollar consumer DSLR that uses SD cards is a pro tool you are sadly mistaken. Sorry to burst your bubble!

Well... I didn't say that~ My opinion is MOST of them are using card~ not ALL of them are using SD card but most or almost~

Anyway, I know what's the pro needs... the camera like D3s is only got compact flash card slot. That's why I said choose what you need or want... Fair enough

BTW... The truth is "SD card is common nowadays.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
BTW... The truth is "SD card is common nowadays.

Yea but what about us MBP users that aren't into digital photography? The ExpressCard slot can be used from everything from hosting a desktop video card to increasing connectivity (eSATA, USB 3.0 when it comes to Macs..:mad:). I'd really love one on my 15"...

CaoCao

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Yea but what about us MBP users that aren't into digital photography? The ExpressCard slot can be used from everything from hosting a desktop video card to increasing connectivity (eSATA, USB 3.0 when it comes to Macs..:mad:). I'd really love one on my 15"...

So basically?
201001012058320.super%20tool%20300.jpg

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I agree. The 15" is the perfect desktop replacment to me. I had a 17" for awhile, and loved it at first... but it was just too big. It felt unnatural in my lap, I couldn't fit it in my bag, and it was heavy. I missed my 15" sorely, and switched back to it. It's just perfect. The screen is just big enough and at a high enough resolution to be as productive as a desktop top to me, for 80% of the things. If only I had an ExpressCard slot :mad:.

Its quite the opposite for me. I've had the 13" macbook pro for a month and thought it was too small and I really hated the glossy screen so I moved up to a 15" macbook pro WHICH I thought was perfect but then I was within 30 days when the macbook pro lineup got updated to the i5/i7 so i got an exchange without the restocking fee and decided to pay a little more for the 17" i7 model.

At first it was huge compared to the 13" and the 15" but after a week of use the 17" actually looked normal in size! Everyone comments on how BIG my 17" is on campus but to me it looks and feels so small (I guess I got used to the size). And now I am very glad that I have the 17" with the express card slot (use usb 3.0 later on) and I love the bigger display that you get with the 17" as well as the very excellent and LOUD speakers! It feels like carrying around a slim portable desktop computer around with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.