17" MBP Large Enough For 2 Browser Side By Side?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LouieSamman, Jan 16, 2011.

1. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

The highest and expensive of the MBP are the 17" but there is one thing I am curious about on the 17".

I used to have a 27" iMac and I could side by side the 2 safari browser which = more productivity.

Do you think the 17" would be able to do the same?

I also heard "RUMORS" that the new MBP will come out with a 20"

Do you think that will be enough to put two browsers side by side without side scrolling?

Maybe they will up the resolution and make this possible.

Let me know if this is possible with having side scrolling browsers.

2. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Awesome so it seems like it barely does it.

I hope the new MBP gets an increase resolution bump or the rumor of a 20" MBP to make it even more of a possibility to have 2 browsers side by side.

Thanks you two for the photo attachment

3. LinkMx macrumors member

I don't see a change of either of those happening anytime soon

4. simsaladimbamba, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

simsaladimbamba

The 1920 x 1200 pixel on the 17" is quite pushing it, I doubt they will go higher unless they finally implement Resolution Independence in Mac OS X.

A 20" MBP is quite unlikely, as there is barely a need for that and the 13" MB/Ps are the biggest sellers of Apple's notebook line.
    The 17" is less sold in my experience, I have seen many 13" Macs but never came upon another user with a 17" (which I only bought for its Anti-Glare option back then (July 2009), and even the 15" MBP is quite a rarity - and I move in the media production circles.

Here is an example of a 20" notebook from HP:
    [​IMG]

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Out of curiosity, what is the point of having two browsers side by side? Wouldn't you just have 2 browser windows of the same application?

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Does it come with the asian?

7. LouieSamman thread starter macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

On the second question you mean tabs?

As for the point of having two browsers side by side. It increases your productivity with seeing two websites at the same time instead of one at a time.

I can watch something on justin.tv in one browser and read cnn on the other browser. So for example if I'm reading an article on cnn and some movie on justin.tv gets to an exciting part I can just turn my eyes over to the other browser rather than clicking the tab and being subjected to only the movie and you having to stop seeing the cnn news article from still staying on the screen.

it's the increase of multitasking.

8. Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

20" laptop from apple is not happening. If you need a large screen that get a new iMac. I have a 24" iMac and an iPad and that works great for me although I am buying a laptop for school

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No, but why two separate web browsers? Why not two windows of the SAME web browser.

10. shanezam203 macrumors member

On the subject, is there any app that allows 2 side by side browsers to be docked together so I can have 2 Windows open at once like the above?

Currently I can open 2 windows and resize them. but I'd like it in full screen mode, 2 browsers side by side, not 1 large browser because the white space.

11. abhinav7333 macrumors member

I use window tidy and have sometimes 4 open. No problem at all.

Attached Files:

12. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Better touch tool gives you a feature similar to Windows 7 aero snap. That will let you pin 2 windows side-by-side as well.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

check out HyperDock gives you all the Windows 7 types behaviours like that, the snap to full screen, snap to side by side the window preview when you hover over an icon in the dock, one of my favorite Mac apps

14. psingh01 macrumors 65816

some sites may not work with one browser but work with another. I've run into that issue a lot with internal corporate sites.

15. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Right now I am reading macrumors and working on a paper on a 15". Its a bit small, but a 17" would probably do it.

As for tabs, I find it to be not at all a problem to click over 1 tab (I frequently have 40 tabs or so)

But if you are going to be reading and watching vids, go horizontally. Better for reading lines of text and video at the same time.

16. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

With Firefox and Safari, you can determine the minimum size type in Settings or Preferences to make things small enough to fit on a smaller screen. I have a MBP 13 and use the multi-tab approach. However, I plan to check out Hyper Dock and the Group Your Tabs icon available in the Customize Your Tab Bar in Firefox.

17. thundersteele macrumors 68030

In my opinion, it's not enough for 2 browser windows.