17" MBP logic board upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bill3000, May 5, 2013.

1. bill3000 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I currently own a mid-2010 i5 MBP 17", and I am thinking about upgrading, as I need a more high-end setup for 3D and video-rendering purposes.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to just buy the 2011 i7 logic board, and fit it in the laptop I own now. The SuperDrive will make place for an Optibay setup, and the iSight will have to be replaced by the FaceTime HD camera, but apart from those parts, would there be any issues ?

I am familiar with replacing this logic board, it has been done before, but I replaced it with the original board. My worry is about connections with the keyboard, wifi, ...

Any thoughts ?

Thanks !

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Way to many unforeseen problems to do this I would think. There could be incompatibilities that will cause it to probably never be able to work. I definitely wouldn't try to use a different logic board on the wrong model.

Like you said, connections may be in slightly different places, anything.

Consider looking at refurbs or new ones.

3. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Won't work. 2010 models didn't have Thunderbolt whereas the 2011 models did. you're looking at potentially major incompatibilities with screen connections, logic board layout, etc. Not worth it. Sell your current 2010 and buy a 2011.

4. Binomio macrumors member

Technically you can do this, theres really no difference between the 2010 and 2011 model. The mini Display port became Thunderbolt but it is on the same place and same shape. The heatsink and left speaker may not fit though, so it is best to get the hts and the speaker with the mlb.

5. CaptHenryMorgan macrumors regular

Sure the location is the same, but the connector and supporting chipset to drive the display may be different.

6. bill3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for all your replies. I will think about selling my 2010, since the upgrade is not an option.