17" MBP - new or refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eVolcre, Jun 13, 2009.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

So after a week of going back and forth between the 13/15/MBA I've decided that I like my current 1 Gen MBP 17 and won't be happy with less. I'm taking the cash for the MBP 15 gift and will pay the difference. Can't wait! It looks AWESOME!

I get a student discount so my cost for the new one is USD 2999 + the ipod touch which I can sell. Should I pull the trigger on the updated model or is there a better refurb deal I can go for? I like the glossy displays. The refurbed site has a LOT of models but I couldn't figure out which model was the last one before the WWDC updates.

Thanks!

eV

2. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

The apple refurb store has the UMBP 17" version with 2.93 CPU & 4gb ram for 2199? I'd say get that unless you want the 3.06 version.

3. zero85ZEN macrumors regular

If you don't have to have a 17" and want the best bang for your buck check out the referb 2.53 GHz 15" MBP at the Apple Store...it's marked down $1050 to $1449 and is actually, IMO (and that of many other posters on this forum), a better machine than the just released 15" models. It's got more L2 cache, 512MB of VRAM, and an expresscard 34 slot.

I'm replacing my Late '06 17" MBP with one.

4. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I can't stand the resolution on the 15". It's not THAT much smaller than the 17 and the tradeoff is too high. Budget isn't *that* critical to be honest.

CPU speed and graphic cards don't really matter to me. I'm a writer/researcher/iPhoto toucher upper. It's the screen quality and real estate.

The student discount brings a brand new 17" to 2299. For a hundred bucks (and a free ipod) it doesn't make sense to go with a 2199 model.

eV

5. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Go with the 2299 new model...I don't think you can go wrong for the price.

6. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Is the 7200 drive option worth the BTO delay and hassles if I want to exchange at an Apple store? My current machine does have the higher speed drive but I've been reading posts where people claim the new drives are just as good at 5400rpm

I spent so much time over analyzing this decision but ultimately, the only machine right now that has me drooling with the 'lust' factor is the ultimate. The 17" :) :)

Whew. Can't wait to have that screen. It's going to be night and day (sun and moon) from my current one!

eV

7. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I'd probably just get a 7200 HDD from newegg. In my experiences though, I without a doubt noticed a difference ...also, my experiences are within the past few months

8. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

That doesn't make sense though. It comes stock with a 5400 RPM 500 GB drive and the upgrade to the 7200 is only 50 bucks. WHy buy it from newegg?

eV

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

That's what I would do ^^^ I got mine with the edu and the iPod deal as well. Really loving both right now.

10. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I agree, it doesn't make sense financially. I only suggested it if you were worried about shipping delays/returns by ordering a 7200 hdd from apple.

11. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Got it. Thanks!

I might go your route and put the stock HD into my 2006 MBP. Is that possible? It's only got 100GB, I may as well upgrade it before giving it to my mum.

eV