17" MBP or 13"MBP + 24"iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Luba, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Ideally I should get a desktop probably an iMac every 3 years or a Mac Pro every 5-6 years plus a notebook (13" MBP or 13" Air) but how do I keep the 2 machines coordinated? I am sure there's software but new to Apple so don't know the name of it or whether it's easy to use.

My other option is to get the 17" MBP. A little too big to carry around and the screen too small for desktop use. Well not small but not luxurious and comfortable like a 24"

2. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

By coordinated, I mean whatever work I get done on the notebook I'd like the desktop to get updated so I could then work on it at home. Then have the notebook get the updated file so I can work on it on the road. Is there an easy way to do this?

3. iBadger macrumors member

You should look into a 13"(maxed out) + 24" External monitor/keyboard/mouse. That's what I currently use and it works out well. No need to move any files between computers.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get iMac + 13" MBA or MBP. 17" MBP is great but it isn't the most portable machine. 24" iMac is performance wise quite same as 17" MBP so you'll not lose any speed.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Don't get two computers at the same time. Then you just want to replace them both at the same time.

6. TSE macrumors 68030

Get a 13" MacBook Pro with an external monitor, or if you need the graphics card, get the $1999 15" MacBook Pro and get a 24" external monitor.

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

At one time I had both a 13" MacBook and a 24" iMac. I never owned a laptop before, but once I did I found out I was definitely a laptop guy. I sold my iMac because keeping all the files in sync proved to be a burden. So one more vote for a 13" MacBook Pro and a 24" display. Get the Apple Cinema Display; it looks just like an iMac.

8. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Co-sign everybody here.

Take the 13" + display.