17" MBP or 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hobbbz, Oct 24, 2007.

1. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

I need to decide which to buy. I know the cost difference but I'm a little fuzzy on the internals difference, other than HD size I don't know what the differences are. I would get the upgraded 17" screen so the resolution would be the same as the iMac. What are your thoughts? Basically, I need to decide if the cheaper cost and generally better specs are worth the non-portability of the iMac.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There are differences but nothing huge. In the end it all boils down to portability and what you're going to use if for.

Do you make movies, do heavy photoshopping, garage band, etc? If so, the slight edge of the iMac might help but it's not going to change your world.

Portability is wonderful, if you make use of it, but if your macbook stays on your desk at home all the time, well, then you should have gotten the iMac!:D

3. mets1125 macrumors regular

There isn't really a difference in hardware between the iMac and the MBP. Is portability important to you? If it is then go for the laptop, If not the iMac is cheaper. You should also go to the apple store near you and talk to an apple employee.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, would you actually take it around? if it just stays on your desk, then get the imac. if not, get the mpb. i would get the mbp, but that's b/c i would actually take it places.

5. cervaro macrumors regular

I've switched from a 24" iMac to the 17" MBP for the sole reason that I wanted the portability as an option when I need it. You could always buy an external 24" screen, e.g. the Dell 2407WFP, Benq, Samsung, etc. for when you're at home. I had intended on doing that, but have chosen to make do with a two year old Dell 20" monitor for the time being as extra display space. Upgrading the ram to 4Gb. Would have liked the option of upping the hard drive to 250Gb, but not prepared to pull apart my machine just yet. Have plenty of external storage, so space isn't really an issue at the moment.

6. seany916 macrumors 6502

get the low end MBP and hook it up to a 30" screen, keyboard, and mouse

You will have portability, a larger screen, and an easier computer to carry into the store should you have a problem.

For the difference in price, I believe the 25% is better kept and upgrade the computer earlier than for the trifling difference in speed and VRAM now.

People need to get out of the thinking that a computer needs to last 2-3 years. If you're running pro apps, replace it every 1.5 years as newer, faster computers come out and sell the older one while it still have some resale value.