17" MBP order - 5400 or 7200 hard disk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by logicpro7, Jun 10, 2009.

1. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

I am not sure what to do so i thought i would ask you guys your opinions.

I will use the mbp for music production so i would need a fast hard disk.

The stock 17 ships in 24hrs but if i upgrade to the 500gb 7200 hard disk it changes that to 7 days+ and an extra £40 for the drive. I also dont get the 14 day return as it is a CTO.

Should i just go for a stock and buy a different drive that i know will perform well?

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

3. johndavidwright macrumors member

it really depends on what you want. if you want a fast internal drive then get the 500GB 7200 RPM. Thats a pretty decent price too. On newegg.com a decent 500GB 7200 RPM drive is around $130. If you end up getting a 5400 RPM drive and get a external drive you will be spending a lot more money, but you will end up with a lot more storage space. All your decision really.

4. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Disagree. Get the 7200rpm.

Setting up an external hard drive is an added hassle -- I have a 320gb 7200rpm external FW800 for my MBP, and I do bring it around with me, but I have run into minor issues when my music programs try to search for a sample library (to an HD that isn't connected), etc.

I used to store my sample information and audio cache on the external, but have since left it as a storage device.

5. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Music Production = External HDD

Anyone who's serious about music or video knows, you do not capture or record to your boot drive! The 5.2k will be fine for a boot drive ;)

6. Philflow macrumors 65816

If you read this I don't think you'll be ordering the 500GB/7200rpm.

7. areusche macrumors regular

areusche

Spoken by a true master.

Get an external HD enclosure that supports firewire, eSATA, and USB. Purchase a fast 3.5in HD.

Most pre made enclosures are slow and have lackluster features. Doing this ensures that you will have a fast device.

8. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The only problem is that i will have my firewire audio card on the fw800 (it has no daisychain) and my liquid mix (may go UAD xpander) on the express card/34 so i am not abke to use an external unless you guys have an idea

9. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I have two MyBook Studio (1TB and 2TB) and they're great in many ways (specifically, they're inexpensive, they look great, they're quiet and the performance is good), but once they go to sleep -- which they love to do quickly, due to some over-enthusiastic power conservation scheme -- it takes forever to wake them up.