17" MBP osx install issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by perfectshadows, May 12, 2011.

1. perfectshadows macrumors member

Hi All,

Right I got a weird one for you.

My Friend has bought a 17" mid2010 MBP from a mate of his. he wants to wipe it clean and put in a btter hard drive.

I have a 7200rpm drive that I removed from my mbp when I upgraded to an SSD. the 7200rpm has not been wiped as I had no need to wipe at the time.

Another issue he has no OSX install discs nothing at all, but I do have mine.

Can I simply drop in my old drive, use my OSX reinstall disc and boot up and do a fresh install? or will this causing licensing issues or any other issues?

Thank you
    Glen

2. perfectshadows thread starter macrumors member

surely someone must know the answer to this one?

I know windows has the product key thing. So I am guessing apple has something similar

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

A new OS X installation can only be done with a Snow Leopard disc that has a version as or more recent than the one the machine shipped with. Simple as that.

No product keys, no DRM. I don't advocate software piracy but you could use your install disc on 50 machines without a problem.

4. perfectshadows thread starter macrumors member

ahh that would be why then he bought a disk from solutions inc but it was an older version than the version the system shipping with.

thanks Glen