17" MBP owners, I have a ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joekix, Jan 28, 2008.

1. joekix macrumors 6502

joekix

ok, earlier i was taking a screen shot (command, shift & 3) on my mbp and noticed it took about 3-4 seconds for the image to show up on my desktop. on my powerbook, probably about 1 second. Same with my sisters macbook.

well, i also noticed that when the mbp is unplugged and just running off battery, it can take up to 15 seconds for the image to pop up on the desktop. what's going on? i'm running leopard, but i also have a backup with tiger and booted off of it and the results were the same. i took about 6 screen shots and they seemed to pop up slower and slower.

on the 12" powerbook and macbook, i noticed it took just a little bit longer when unplugged, but still under 2 seconds. i think they are quicker because the screens are smaller.

my question is if any owners of the 17" mbp could test this out on their computers to see if they get the same results. it's bugging the crap out of me! thanks.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Sorry but just tried with & without the power plugged in took about 1-2 secs
    wish i could help with your issue but cant offer any advice

N

3. joekix thread starter macrumors 6502

joekix

did you leave it unplugged for a while? i noticed your mbp isn't hi-res. not sure if that has anything to do with it...

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Nope i didnt leave it unplugged gotta go to work now i'll post back later
    if no ones come up with a solution for you

5. joekix thread starter macrumors 6502

joekix

6. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

About two seconds on mains and an extra second on battery.

Life must be good if all you've got to worry about is a second or two on a screenshot. :)

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Takes about 2 second right now.

Once in awhile it takes a long time for me (10seconds+, usually when taking screenshots of googlemap with lots of browser windows and apps open). Definitely not as quick as PowerBook for some reason, but I am running Eudora with 20,000 messages using Rosetta.

I think I have even tried it with a fresh install when I first got it. Seems to happen less with 10.4.11. Seems to happen less after I got 4gb of ram.

17" 2.4ghz Santa Rosa MBP

8. Stianu89 macrumors member

If you have the high res screen its no wonder why it takes a while to take a print screen! On your powerbook you have like half the screen res of what the 17" mbp has!

I have the best macbook pro available right now and mine is taking a while to take screenshots aswell!

Mine took around 3 secs with the hi res screen!

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

New: 1680x1050
    Old: 1440x900

New display has 1.36 number of pixels. Shouldn't take that long...
    Going to write apple.com/feedback

10. joekix thread starter macrumors 6502

joekix

mines 1920x1200. hi-res. i'm glad to hear that it's normal.

11. Littlehoof macrumors member

13 Seconds.

don't know why it takes so long... I had just restarted my machine and had nothing running except a safari window. Interestingly the seconds on the clock on my menu bar actually stop ticking over while its working on the screen capture :S so it seems like its a pretty intense use of computer resources during that period? :S ... also I tried disabling spaces - made no difference. :(

12. joekix thread starter macrumors 6502

joekix

what's up with that? i thought our computers were beasts... when it's plugged in, i can get a shot from anywhere between 2-5 secs. i just hate when it's unplugged... 10-20 secs. that's not acceptable.