17" MBP owners - typing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Jun 20, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

To those who type mostly on the Mac keyboard not on an external how is it?

For typing on your lap and on a desk do you find the large palm rest too big or gets in the way?

Does it seem too heavy on your lap after awhile?

Anyone know if the fonts are larger or smaller compared to the hi res 15" MBP?

Thanks

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I just upgraded from a previous generation 17" and I think the current keyboard is an improvement! I'm used to the large hand rests from my previous MBP so that is no problem.

I hardly ever use it on my lap. Pretty much 95% of the time it's on my desk or on a little foldout table when I'm out in the yard. Every Mac laptop going back to the Titanium PowerBook G4 were very hot so I wouldn't use them on my lap anyway without some kind of cushion. This adds weight yet doesn't feel heavy..

This is what I have: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Belkin-Cushtop-Stand-for-Laptop-PC-Brown/6339403?sourceid=1500000000000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=6339403

I haven't used it with my current laptop yet but it worked just fine with my old MBP. Big enough for the 17", comfortable and keeps your legs from burning. Doubles as a very hard pillow too lol

As for font size I believe they are slightly smaller on the 17" than on the highres 15.4" but it probably won't be noticeable.

3. Don Nguyen macrumors member

You get used to it. I use my 17" on the couch and bed all the time. Easy.

4. magamo macrumors 6502

Typing is fine on my 17". I don't use it on my lap very often. Sometime I find it a little bulky when using on my bed, but it's not that big of a problem. I have no idea what the fonts are like compared to the high resolution 15" MBP. I have no problem with the font size though.

5. tim100 macrumors 65816

1) no
    2) no
    3) high res 15 dpi 128 and 17 132

having used both the font size seem the same. the 17 only is a little bigger and the screen is great. the best combination of mac portables is 17 and 13, if you want more than one.

6. FreyGrimrod macrumors newbie

Typing on it seems fine while I miss the ergonomic logitech I own have yet to plug it into the laptop.

Also using it on your lap for extended periods may lead to a left quad drenched in sweat...

7. Reapur macrumors regular

The 15 inch will still make your leg pretty hot too, it is not reserved to the 17 inch.

As for usability there is very little difference between the 15 and 17 inch on your lap. You forget the computer is slightly bigger and focus on the great display infront of you. Anyone who complains about the 17 inch mbp is a wuss.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You get used to it. The biggest thing for me when I got my first 17" was learning how to deal with my hands on the trackpad, but now it is second nature.

People really over exaggerate the weight of the 17", it's a pound more then the 15" and still a lot lighter then a lot of PC counterparts. The sheer size I think is the hardest thing to adjust to.

The heat thing is annoying, but I'm not sure it really makes a difference. I've never burned my leg, but it get's hot. Just avoid putting it on a pillow or blankets and you are fine.

9. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Is that what you think you'll end up with, a 13 and a 17" MBP?