17" MBP owners, what's your sidekick?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Mar 4, 2011.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

What do you use along with your 17" Macbook Pro's, if anything?

How much time do you spend on your 17" compared to your other device(s)?

From reading here many also have a 11 or 13" MacBook Air, iPad, or netbook as an addition for mobility or travel.

I'm considering a 17" as a desktop replacement that's why I ask.

Thanks.

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Nothing. If anything, just my iPhone.

I used to have a Mac Mini + 24" Acer H233H & 2006 MacBook, but juggling files between them and the school computers (since they both could barely handle CS5) was a pain, aside from my traveling a lot, my Mini was my main so I couldn't take all my music with me.

Selling them both and getting a 17" has been perfect.

3. ozred macrumors 6502

17" MBP, 15" MBP, 13" MBA, 11" MBA, iPhone 4

All new this year, but ignore this post, I'm addicted and work in the industry :)

My Fav MBP - 17"

My Fav MBA - 13"

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have a 17" inch at home and then I have the same 17" on the go.

5. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Your Thunderbolt Avatar is dope. That is all.:)

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

ya I think they did a good job on it's design.

7. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Love the 17", but I think it's just a little to big for me. Currently have 13" as my main computer/mobile computer.

When I graduate I hope to replace this with an iMac and MBA. But for now this'll do. It's a beast.

8. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

i have a 17" umbp.

i take it to school, to work, to meetings. it is honestly NOT that heavy. i had my friends 13" umbp in my bag and then carried the 17", not much weight difference.

i use it in class - lecture, tutorial. its with my whenever/wherever i need a computer.

i dont have any other computers.

after a few more years ill give this to my brother and hopefully by then ill be making some real money so i can by myself a 27" imac and a macbook air

9. vnle macrumors 6502

My iPhone. I use it instead of my mbp to quickly check emails or look up something otherwise, I use my mbp. It pretty much follows me everywhere - to college/work. The big screen is awesome :cool:

10. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The 11 or 13" MacBook Air seems popular with 17" owners as it with iMac and Mac Pro owners.

The ideal 'never tied to a desk and the ultimate in portability' setup could be the 17" MBP for long hours of work were the added screen real estate is nice and the 11" for lighter/shorter periods of work and its small enough to take 'everywhere' if you like.

It's getting tempting.

11. revenire macrumors member

revenire

12. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

iPhone 4 and an Asus 1002HA netbook. I will be picking up a 13" Macbook Air or 13" Macbook Pro soon though, just haven't decided which to get.

13. snouter macrumors 6502a

My sidekicks are 11.6" Air and myTouch4g and I use them a lot.

My Air in particular surprises me. I had an iPad but left it on an airplane. I bough the Air to replace that (Air did not have a keyboard, Flash, or the ability to store docs and folders easily, and I missed real Apps, not lite Apps) iPad ruled with it's 10 hour battery life, otherwise, I don't miss it that much.

I probably use my Air the most, followed by my phone and then my 17" but that does not mean I don't love my 17".

14. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

Just got my first 17" and contemplating getting a 11" MBA or iPad2. Thoughts?

15. snouter macrumors 6502a

I love my 11.6" Air. I had an iPad 1. I'd get the Air again in a heartbeat.

Only downside to Air? iPad has real 10 hour battery life. You can leave the house without a charger and have no fear.

16. mac jones, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

I have a 17 and a MBA......(and a 13" pro that i'm testing but will sell)

I need them both.

I may be just me but the temps on the 17 are WAY down. Right now it's 36 degrees. That's pretty low. The cooling sytem on this is pretty robust though.

I haven't measured the entire range, but this is encouraging

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

I've got a hunch that the newer iPad will be a better Internet experience, so therefore a better tool for the road.

It's pretty light. I like the ipad but it was a tad slow (too slow).

They may have fixed this.

It is sort of an awkward device at times though.

18. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Seems many have the 17" MBP more as a stationery computer and have or would like a MBA or iPad for portability. Makes sense, it gives you the option to take a mobile powerhouse or an ultra portable, cool!

I don't like to work from a desk so I'd sell my Mac Pro and replace it with the 17".

One reason I'm reluctant to try the 17" is often I read when 15/17" MBP owners buy a MacBook Air they end up spending the majority of their time on the smaller/lighter notebook.

For now I use my 13" Air the most .... but 6-8 hours a day staring at a 13" screen ... a 17" would be better assuming I can be satisfied carrying triple the weight on my lap or on the go. I could hook Air up to a larger display for more screen real estate but that puts me back at a desk. Decisions, decisions.

17" MBP owners please post how you've got your system set up.

19. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

iPad on the couch, MBA for quick runs. But honestly if I need to work whether at my desk or on the go, I always use my 17

20. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

You've got a nice range of computers! What's your main setup consist of?

Between the 17" MBP and 13" MBP which one do you use the most? Do you sync files between the two or all your computers?

21. rebby macrumors 6502

I have 2 17's and an 11" Ultimate. I use the 17's about 80% of the time. If I'm going somewhere, the percentage flips and 80% of the time, the MBA comes along. The MBA is a great compliment to the 17" MBP.

22. TheralSadurns, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

TheralSadurns macrumors 6502

I had a 13" early 2006 MB, replaced it with a 15" early 2008 MBP.

I have this one hooked up to either a 27" 2560x1440 Dell Display or 3x 1280x1024. Depending on where I work/stay.

Now I'm really used to the screen real estate so there is NO way of NOT getting a 17" MBP. As for comparison. While the 17" MBP might seem huge, stack it on top of a 15" MBP and you'll notice that it is only about an inch wider and something around 3/4 inch deeper. The one pound difference is also not THAT much of a difference if you have the right bag.
    Also, while 15" might be the 'gold standard' right now. Take a look at most PC notebooks. 15" wintel machines are HUGE. If ppl can use and carry THESE, why would you have a problem with a 17" MBP?
    Or... for another comparison look at some bag mfr. Booq for example. Their bags state something like 'fit 14"-15" PCs or 15"-17" MBPs'.
    Also just for comparison. I saw this here a couple days ago. I knew it existed... but never bothered checking its dimensions.
    So take a look yourself!
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m17x/pd

quote from said page:

Dimensions
    Height: 51.31mm to 53.59mm (2.02 inches to 2.11 inches) – Front to Back
    Width: 405.89mm (15.98 inches)
    Depth: 321.31mm (12.65 inches)
    Weight: Starting at 5.3kg* (11.68 pounds)

:unquote

This one (maybe a bad example as it is meant to be a mobile gaming powerhouse... but still) is like TWO 17" MBPs stacked on top of each other!

The 17" is definitely worth it, regarding the screen and ExpressCardSlot alone.

The only problem I could see/envision is on public transportation. As, except for some trains, there is limited space.

My sidekicks are an iPhone 4 and an iPad. I pretty much never ever go out without them. Do I get work done with them? Nope. Except for emailing and some notes. But I'd hardly call that work.

If you want my 2ct... If you got a 17" MBP... you might like to have an iPad. But personally I think any MBA would be rather useless. But then again, I just HATE having to sync files b/w different computers, and the use of my iPad during travel doesn't warrant a 'real' computer.
    But then again YMMV.

23. Box215 macrumors newbie

Use my 17' MBP as mobile/desktop replacement. Size is perfect imo. A big improvement over the 11+ pound Dell 17" ive been using the past 6 years

24. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

The new Quad 17's are great and make sense for anyone who wants desktop power yet be able to use it around the office, house or bring along. That sounds appealing to me too.

Add the 11 or 13" Air and you have a great sidekick for when you want to work anywhere with out the weight or bulk.

Tie it together with Dropbox, MobileMe or similar and that could indeed be the *ultimate* setup.

Posters above sure seem happy with this combo!

25. Horus macrumors regular

Horus

I will sell my 2010 15-inch i5 MBP to get the high end 17-inch, and I'm also tempted to buy a 11-inch Air as soon as they get updated. I think, the Air is a perfect sidekick for that setup :)