Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctsport1234

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2005
I've been using macs for years, and the 17'' MBP is by far my favorite computer to date! Love it! And for those who keep suggesting that the 15'' is more portable, I wonder how many of those have actually owned both. I have (I also used to have a macbook) and I can tell you that portablity is not an issue at all. :D

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I sprung for the 15" 2.4, but it was truly between that and the HD 17". I love the 15" but many a day have gone by where I've thought to myself, maybe I should have gotten the 17", I don't take it anywhere really. I assure you, my next :apple: will be a 17"er.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
I have a 17" SR MBP that I bought 3 weeks ago, it is by far the best computer I've owned. I'm not sure I would have liked the 15", I like having more screen than I need.

I am an OTR truck driver and needed a good all-in-one solution for music, videos, mail and spreadsheets, if fits the bill perfectly. The nice thing is, if I dont watch DVD's with it I can go two weeks of normal useage (Mail, iWeb, Shrrok, Adium) without having to charge it. I just wish I could get a 12v MagSafe power supply for it so i wouldn't have to use a power inverter in the truck.

The video quality is very impressive, everyone who has looked at it has commented on the display without being prompted. Even at extreme angles it still looks very good. I can only image how much better the High-Res looks.

I expected the speakers to be pretty crappy, instead I am still suprised at how good they are. They wont replace your home stereo but they are more than adequate for my purposes. I'm glad that I didn't have to get some external speakers and clutter up my truck. And when I don't want others to hear it my iPhone headphones work great.

It does get a bit hot when running Handbrake, but its not too bad if I set it on a couple pencils to get it of the desk.

Unless you will be carrying it a LOT I would get the 17".

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
I have owned a 17" laptop (HP) this year, and a 15" MBP (Which I sent back to amazon because of a faulty superdrive) and now I'm contemplating switching to a 17" MBP once Leopard is released. What I recall of the HP (which is a pound heavier than the 17" mac I think) it wasn't all too heavy but I shot myself in the foot with getting a bigger case for it (which fits alot of papers and whatnot) and I put in blank dvds, wireless mouse, etc and that weighed me down. I think with a slim case and next to none accessories, the difference between a 15 and 17 inch laptop should be nil.

dreamsandart

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2004
I got my new 17" a couple weeks ago a day before an unplanned trip, but left it at home and took my 4 year old familiar G4 15" with me. The 15" may still be a better 'portable' for longer and/or frequent trips I feel at least until I get used to this size deference in my head.

That said, after returning and a few days at home working on the 17" its everything I hoped for in a Macbook Pro. The larger HD screen is amazing, its quick and as mentioned the sound quality is great. Looking at DVDs (my portable theater) is a whole new experience compared to my old Powerbook. For the few hundred dollars more than the 15" this computer will be a huge step up. As for that 'portable' factor, my laptop is used mostly for moving around the house, which I do a few times a day, outside, this room or that, and a weekly trip to our other house, larger yes, but the best compromise for me. I don't really need a smaller size that fits easily in the bag daily and if you think about it and compare its really only a inch bigger each way anyway.

Unless you really need a slightly smaller size its the best option, and in return you get what is a 24" display in a 17" size, bright and detailed gorgeous display also, a slightly faster processor (barefeats tests show it may be clocked a bit faster (10%) than the 15") and better sound - all in all its the maxed Apple laptop (put the 4GBs of RAM in myself, and ordered the 160/7200 HD). This thing ROCKS!

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
I use both a 17" (2.33GHz Intel) and a 15" 2.2GHz daily.

The 15" MBP is my home laptop, got it soon after they came out. Then at work (we are a Dell/Windows shop) the web guy left and I found out and asked IT if I could have his 17" MBP. They were happy to get rid of it, they don't support Mac and it was a liability as far as they were concerned.

I really like my 15" for most "laptop" work, i.e. on the couch, coffee table access, etc. For work, where I am at a desk and using the laptop as a "desktop replacement", the 17" is better, especially with an external keyboard and mouse.

If you work primarily at a desk and can carry around the larger laptop, a 17" might be good. If you are using your laptop in a variety of places (different rooms and labs and dorm rooms at school, for example), or travel to customer sites constantly for business and are NOT using the desktop real estate to demonstrate jobs to customers, a 15" is still a wonderful choice.

I upgraded my 15" with 2x2GB RAM and a 200GB 7200RPM Hitachi, and it rocks.

agore

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Basically I'm just looking for 17" owners to give me a strong first person opinion of whether they are happy with their MBP or wish they had gotten a smaller one, preferably with justifications.

I love my 17" I have room for two Word pages side by side, plus room for notes. In Photoshop, I can be editing a large image and still have all my palettes open.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Get the 15" and upgrade to Leopard and use Spaces, or just download Virtue-Desktops. Then spend the $300 you saved on RAM or an upgraded HD:)

koddakid

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2007
I'm really trying to be convinced that the 17" MBP is a good choice. However, it seems like almost everyone I ask recommends the 15" over it.

So I think this will be my last internet foray for information on the matter.

Basically I'm just looking for 17" owners to give me a strong first person opinion of whether they are happy with their MBP or wish they had gotten a smaller one, preferably with justifications.

I bought the di-ef 17 inch and love it...But I also have a mb, its kinda like pick your posion. When I am in the airport or coffee shop I bring my mb for simple browsing and music. Either way you cant go wrong

hukuma

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
San Diego, CA
Proud Owner

I too have the High-Res 17 MBP...it replaced my 15 PB G4. I would make the same trade (for size, and obviously for speed) any day of the week.
I carry mine every day, to and from work. Get a good bag...I keep mine in a bag by Osprey. It's not as padded as I'd like, but then again...one shouldn't really be throwing a laptop around.
That reminds me...I think I'll start a thread about bags for the 17, as last I searched (which was some time ago), I didn't see anything dedicated to the 17.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I'm really trying to be convinced that the 17" MBP is a good choice. However, it seems like almost everyone I ask recommends the 15" over it.

You really need to the the two side by side and then make a decision. Same with the matte/glossy screens.

I have a 17" and replaced my desktop with it.

I don't know if you are worried about classmates goofing on you because it looks too big but I love mine.

Think Different. :apple: Buy the 17. :D

freewill

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2007
Keyboard & Trackpad Comfort

For those who have or have used both the 15 and the 17, how do the keyboard & trackpad layouts feel on each of them?

I love the 17 screen when I make my regular (not quite daily) visits to the Apple Store, but the different layout seems to bother/tire my hand and wrist. I can't tell if it's the 17's greater distance between the keyboard and computer's edge, or the gap between the trackpad and the keyboard, or what. The 15 just feels more comfortable.

Anyone gotten a 17 and wished they'd gotten a 15 for this reason?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.