17" MBP (pre-unibody) HDD upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by obfuscated, Dec 28, 2010.

1. obfuscated macrumors newbie

Rather than replace my MPB (2007 pre-unibody 17" - the 2.4GHz one), I've decided to crack it open and replace the hard drive as well as the RAM.

I'm having a hard time deciding which drive to go for as everyone seems to have problems with each brand. I figured 5400rpm drives would be better for battery life and I don't want to pay for an SSD because I can't afford a high capacity one.

I've narrowed it down to the following and wondered if anyone had any confirmed successes with them. Or are there good models that I've missed?

Samsung M7 HM641JI 640GB (link)

WD Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT 500GB (link)

Seagate Momentus 500GB(link)

2. marc.richards7 macrumors newbie

Go with the Samsung Drive. I put one in my PowerBook and it has done great. No hassles, no issues with OS X compatibility, very quick. I do suggest though for speed, buy an SSD that has enough capacity for OS X and your most used apps and then buy an external hard drive for your files and other apps. A little wallet hungry, but well worth it!

3. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

They are all GREAT HDDs and among the best that you can fit into a MBP. A lot of people here use the Momentus and love it. All are going to give you faster speeds than your current HD (which is probably 4200 or 5200 IIRC). I would buy whichever you can find a better sale on, or perhaps find a seller who may throw in a cheap USB enclosure to turn your current HD into an external.

4. obfuscated thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice both. I'll get the Samsung drive - the extra 140GB is pretty compelling for only £5 difference.

5. elvisidal macrumors member

elvisidal

I've replaced a seagate with a Scorpio blue and the extra battery life is great

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

I put in a 500GB Hitachi Travelstar 7200 RPM drive last Christmas in my early 08' MBP. Love that drive