17 MBP - Quadcore?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by costabunny, Oct 17, 2008.

1. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Well I have never written a rumory style post, but does anyone think that the 17refresh is delayed due to the Montevina Quads not being quite ready?

Perhaps this is why they left the 17" out last Tues? I think the idea has merit, after all its odd they left the 17 untouched (and Steve said th 17 would be refreshed) - perhaps chip supply was poor, or some other design issue cropped up?

I wonder if we will see a 17"MBP with a Quad 2.4 CPU in the lineup sometime over the next few months?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Mobile quad core processors have been available since last month.

3. costabunny thread starter macrumors 68020

costabunny

Doesnt mean supply, price or support suits Apples needs tho?

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And in each of those laptops, they had 16"--18" screen and were 1.5" thick.

Perhaps they were trying to figure out how to get them into the new 17" MBP case without heating issues, but right now, I think it would take some effort on Apple's part to make it happen.

Does anybody know why Apple doesn't use the speakers on MBPs as a vent? :confused: Or perhaps the speaker could take up 80% of the speaker grills, while some of the holes at the very top and bottom of the grills are used for vents. Surely the speakers don't taken up the entire length of those speaker grills.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Intel has them available for OEMs. Keep in mind that these processors are $800-1,100 as well. You're not going to see them in every laptop.