17" MBP Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by R6Seven, May 25, 2008.

1. R6Seven macrumors member

So ever since my 15" MBP was stolen back in early '07, I have been using my old iMac G5 and it's been a huge pain since I am out and about all the time for work. I did get by with my emails and calendar stuff through Verizon Wireless. By the way, I CAN'T WAIT TO LEAVE VERIZON.

The good news in all this is that I'm ready to buy a new laptop again. And I'm going to buy the 17"! All my Powerbooks, Macbook Pro in the past were 15-inchers and I know that some revisions tend to have a set of their own problems. Does the current 17" model have any widespread, known problems that users have been complaining about? I remember looking over the 1st revision 17" MBP at a store and it had very loose screen hinges, causing the laptop's screen to slam shut when carrying it at an angle. Also, I read something about batteries blowing up on the 17s? I remember that happening with other models in the past too, but my question is mainly about the CURRENT revision.

Sorry for all the questions, but lastly, is anyone familiar with both versions of the current 17" model? I'm talking about regular 17" screen vs. the LED Hi-Res screen. Does the LED make much of a difference and what is the advantage of a hi-res screen for users who do a lot of multi-tasking? I run my own business as well as working at a hospital so it's a whole meshup of things that I need to deal with everyday. The only thing I can think of is that I'll have more screen space on the hi-res screen?

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Can't comment on LED, but the high-res screen is well worth having if you run things like photoshop, dreamweaver and the like. I have a late 2007 rev high-res 17" MBP and it has easily the best screen I've ever seen on a laptop.

3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

My lil bro MBP 17", 200gb 7200rpm hd, 2.5ghz, glossy high res is fine. The hinge and battery problem were on the 1st gen mbp. I know because I have it. I took the battery to apple store and it was replaced. the hinges i do not care since it still stays up at the angle i want.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Carrying around a 17" notebook can be a real pain. I think you should check out the computer at a local store before you buy so you can appreciate just how big it really is.

5. R6Seven thread starter macrumors member

neiltc13,

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I've definitely checked it out with mobility in mind, but I'm looking for a desktop replacement that I can carry around occasionally when I drive so my mind's pretty much made up. I'm sure I wouldn't want to carry it on my cycling days. Tell me though, is that what you meant when you said carrying the 17" will be a huge pain? I'm not at a university anymore so I thought, walking/cycling less, I would do well with the 17".

thx for your input.

6. SamoanDude macrumors regular

I own a 17" Santa Rosa model and I love it. It's screen is huge, and Ihave a nice case to tote it around in so being cumbersome isn't an issue.

I have had NO problems with this machine, it's nice and crisp and fast. I recommend one to anyone!

7. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Carrying the 17" vs. the 15" is not a big deal. It's 2" difference. If you're concerned about hauling it around often, or while cycling/walking, then consider getting a backpack for it. I have the Brenthaven backpack for mine, and it's awesome and has plenty of room for accessories. Good luck to you. :)