17" MBP RAM and hard drive questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paddensg, Jul 19, 2009.

  1. paddensg macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2009
    Location:
    Lansing, MI
    #1
    Hey everyone, I've been browsing these forums for a few days and doing as much of my homework as I can, so hopefully I'm not bringing up issues that have already been beaten to death.

    I've decided to get a 17" MBP for grad school. I do a lot of audio editing and I am wondering if the jump to 8GB of RAM is really worth the extra $900. My thought is to get the 2x2GB right now, and in a few months if it turns out that it's not doing what I need, I'll sell them and buy a 2X4GB set in the future, at which point the price of the memory will be cheaper. Thoughts?

    Also, I've been reading up on the issues with the 7,200rpm hard drive. It seems like a lot of people have these click/beep issues with the hangups and whatnot. I don't really care about capacity (I have a 1TB external drive), so I am wondering if the 128GB solid-state drive might be the way to go. What do you think?

    Lastly, if I order this from MacMall today, do you think I have ANY chance of it arriving to Lansing, MI by Thursday?

    Thanks for the help.
     
  2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #2
    If you really need 8GB, get it, but it is quite expensive. Intel is releasing new SSD's on Tuesday so I would wait.
     
  3. paddensg thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2009
    Location:
    Lansing, MI
    #3
    Yeah I've read that and heard that these SSD's are supposed to be badass. If I wait til Tuesday to order, do you think I'd be guaranteeing that I get an Intel SSD?

    I only ask because it seems weird that they just updated the specs in June and only a month later they're going to change them again. I guess if it shows up as an option in the customization section, the answer would be obvious enough.
     
  4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

    MacMini2009

    Joined:
    May 22, 2009
    Location:
    California
    #4
    It's not going to be a BTO option on Apple.com, you will have to buy it from a place like Amazon.com or Newegg.com if they will sell it. Well I think orders can be put in on Tuesday, but shipping will take like a week or so.
     

Share This Page