17" MBP reading pulled HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greytop, May 4, 2012.

1. greytop macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 17" MBP with a fried logic board. It failed one month after the 4 year window for the nvidia fix. The hard drive should still be in good shape. I'm wondering if I can pull it and put it in an enclosure I own that has the Oxford 911 chipset. That way I could read it using my wife's macbook. I don't know if these HDs have different power requirements or connectors than standard ATA hard drives I've used in my desktops. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Standard SATA interface and power requirements. It'll work in an external enclosure just fine.Curious, did you try getting Apple to replace the logic board? I've found that 4 year mark not to be 100% set in stone.

3. greytop thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it to the Authorized Apple Service Center at our local university. They said because the computer wouldn't post, they are unable to say that it's the Nvidia GPU. From what I've read online that's a pretty standard reply/dodge. For some people the computer will boot and the fault codes pointing to the Nvidia chip are readable. They are then eligible for the replacement board. For cases like mine, it appears to be a Catch 22. The GPU blows, taking out the logic board, stopping the boot and therefore never getting to the point that codes can be read.

I asked in the SF store if they would look at it and they said it wouldn't matter since it's past the 4 year limit. I opted not to spend $590 on a new board that has the same faulty GPU on it. Since I do a lot of presentations using projectors, I'm waiting on a redesigned MBP that will hopefully come along soon.

Thanks for the info on the HD. I'll pop it out tonight.