17" mbp resolution difference?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by offwidafairies, Oct 17, 2007.

1. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

whats the difference between the resolution option with mbp 17in? is it noticeable? does it make a difference with reselling?

whats the go with led screens? can someone please explain this to me?

2. Xil3 macrumors regular

Ah, I want to know the answers to all that too... was thinking to ask the exact same questions.. haha

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

You can probably google a lot of this and search these forums for the rest, but I'll try to give you a basic feel on your questions (if I can)...

The difference with the high-res option:

The new, high-res option is 1920 x 1200 pixels on the 17" MBP, which is up from 1680 x 1050. The key significance here is that it can display full HD content (1080p) in it's native resolution. This is important if you want to edit or view any HD content without an external monitor. It also means you will have a crisper picture with more pixels on the screen, but until Leopard comes out with resolution independence it will also mean smaller text. I personally think it looks wonderful and every review I have read here has been raving. Some people have gone so far as to say that they don't understand why someone would buy the 17" MBP without the high-res option.

The LED screen:

Not sure your question here. But, the LED screen is part of Apple's push to become more environmentally friendly, as they are less hazardous to the environment than traditional LCD screens when thrown away. This is because they don't contain mercury. There are other benefits to the LED screen, however. They consume less power and increase battery life, and they look brighter, at least to me, even though Apple claims they are the same brightness, and they have more consitant brightness from corner to corner. Supposedly LED screens are also better at more accurately representing colors, and you can dim the screen to lower levels than previous screens and still be able to read it. There were issues with yellowing LED screens, as you may have read here, which was a manufacturing defect generally associated with Samsung-made panels. Panels made by LG didn't seem to have the problem, but I have seen other reports that LG screens are more washed out. Regardless, it seems as though Apple has handled the yellowing problem by now. LED seems to be a worthy upgrade, but it is still only offered on the 15" MBP. Time and pricing will determine when it may come to the 17" or other models.

Hope that helps.

-Ado

4. offwidafairies thread starter macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

It does help, thanks. Is there any chance of an update to the 17" before January? I dont think I can wait any longer. If I buy today and then in one month there is an update is it just 'how sad, too bad'? Im nervous about spending $4k.

5. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

having the HR mbp, I can attest to how much of a benefit it is. With the higher resolution you get more real-estate, it is like having a 23in lcd rather than a 17. The text isn't uncomfortably small or anything so that isn't a problem for most. The colour is gorgeous, and the room for programs is awesome. I run 3d apps like form-z and it provides ample room. Plus the machine is fast. For the extra couple of dollars it is one of the best investments for the mbp. :D I'm loving mine