17" MBP Rubber Lining Issue - Help the OCD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kanpachi, Dec 3, 2007.

1. kanpachi macrumors regular

Hello,

For those of you that own 17" MBPs, could some of you please provide comments on their experience with the rubber lining that is immediately above the CDROM area? Reference image attached with area highlighted in the reddish box. The construction is different than the 15" MBP in that there's no aluminum casing between the rubber and the CDROM, so when placing your arm on it while typing, the stress causes the rubber to become loose over time. Now on my MBP, it makes an annoying clicking sound every time I put my arm over it and take it off from typing because of the rubber being loose.

I think this just might be a symptom of the construction of the 17" MBP, but could some of you please provide comments? I'm going crazy over this imperfection (especially since this computer was so expensive). Thanks. :)

- OCD Sufferer of MBP Imperfections

Attached Files:

2. kanpachi thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, well I guess no one is going to help me address this issue so I just went to the Apple Store myself. The Apple Store manager mentioned it's "within parameters" (the usual response). Apparently this is a very common problem with 17" MBPs given how it's designed, although I don't see why they couldn't design it similarly to the 15" where there is some metal support underneath to cushion any stress.

Thanks anyways.