17" mbp screen dead :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sejanus, Mar 21, 2009.

1. sejanus macrumors regular

i thought my 17" mbp (the older shape, a 2.4ghz) had hung this morning.

Turns out the screen is dead, you can login to it via screen sharing over the network and the machine itself is fine, but the screen remains black.

It's out of warranty as well :( Anyone had a screen fixed before? I'm guessing it may be crazy expensive.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Pity it wasn't your GPU that went - you have an extra year (assuming your MBP has the 8600M).

Getting the screen replaced will cost up to ~£600 (~$1000) because the whole back casing for the screen needs to be replaced too. They don't just open the screen casing up and swap screens, they replace the whole thing. Pretty pricey.

Take it to your local Apple Store/Authorised Reseller and see what they say. You might be better selling it on eBay (lots of people would use it as a desktop with external display or as a wee server) and using what cash you get for it for a new one.

3. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

4. kolax macrumors G3

5. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

thats interesting, thanks for the link felt. I'm not adverse to the idea of pulling the laptop apart, I've pulled it before a year ago to swap the hard drive

I'll get apple to quote first

cheers

6. kolax macrumors G3

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

when my old iBook finally dies im going to take it completely apart and try and put it back together. should be fun.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Time for a mouse, keyboard, and a new LCD display turning a dead laptop into a $50-200 desktop.

If you shine a light on the screen and the screen is fine, you might just need a new backlight or the little power board going to the screen died.

9. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

well i have a weird end to this story

took it to apple and they said logic board, $1900 aud to fix. thats about $1200 usd for the american ppl here.

luckily insurance stepped in (I have it under my business insurance) and they have authorised me to go and buy another one which I'll do tomorrow.

I had this grand idea of using this laptop as a htpc, but bizarrely since apple have had a look at it, the box no longer outputs via the external dvi port which it did before I dropped it in to them.

You can still let it boot up and then connect to it with screen sharing over the network - When you go into "about this mac" if you click the graphics/display section it crashes.

so it's basically useless now - but at least I have another one coming.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im glad it worked out for you. it just shows you that having insurance outside of apple really helps. mine is under homeowners insurance. you can never have enough coverage.