17" MBP = slow iMovie

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmeaux, Feb 28, 2009.

1. macmeaux macrumors newbie

Two days ago I bought the base model new 17" MacBook Pro so I can use FCP on the road for work. I thought it would be faster than my old iMac that I use everyday with Final Cut Pro. The rendering on the iMac is a little slow but I'm used to it and I never have any dropped frames.

My old iMac has a Intel C 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2 GB at 667 Mhz, ATI Radeon HD2600 and a 500 GB hard drive.
    The new MBP has Intel C 2 Duo, 2.66 Ghz, 4 GB at 1066 Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT and a 320 GB hard drive.

A week ago I was on vacation and used a Kodak Zi6 while there to shoot some home video. I imported 5 minutes of the video as 960x540 into iMovie instead of FCP which I haven't installed on it yet because I thought it would be quicker and easier, but its not. It's very slow and "choppy" I feel like I've taken one step forward in mobility and three steps back in efficiency.

Everyone else says their MBPs are running "like butter".
    Please advise if iMovie is a speed hog or if I might have a faulty MBP.
    Any info is helpful.

2. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Wow, there's a few variables that could be contributing to that... I would first ask what model hard drive is in your MacBook Pro...

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I imported some video into iMovie 09 on my 17" Unibody as well and have also found it very laggy, but its laggy on my 8 Mac Pro too which makes me feel its nothing to do with the computer, iMovie 09 simply cant handle large single video files. Wait until you use the stabilizer ha ha ha....

There is a solution to this, its called iMovie 06. Apple recognized no iMovie has been as good since 06, and they even offer 06 for free download on their website.

4. macmeaux thread starter macrumors newbie

Hard drive model

How do I find out the hard drive model?

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

In a 2009 17" Unibody Macbook Pro your problem wont be anything to do with the hard drive unless you've dropped it and its broken.

6. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

System Profiler in your Applications/Utilities folder. Look under Serial-ATA.

7. macmeaux thread starter macrumors newbie

iMovie 06

Thanks Kats, I'll try using iMovie '06 for home videos instead of '09.

Just to be clear, are you saying that FCP should run fine on this laptop?

8. macmeaux thread starter macrumors newbie

Hard drive model

Vendor: NVidia
    Product: MCP79 AHCI
    Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

FUJITSU MHZ2320BH FFS G1:

Capacity: 298.09 GB
    Model: FUJITSU MHZ2320BH FFS G1

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It should, i run it but not intensively, don't try editing massive 1080 high def video files. I edit all my video with the help of an external 500GB FW800 Hard Drive which helps things a bit.

10. macmeaux thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks a lot Kastenburst, I was worried that I had made a $3k mistake...

11. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Whilst im obviously biased having one myself, you honestly cant get a better portable computer for $3000. Even spec for spec its better value than other Windows machines.

12. Trivial rock macrumors regular

Trivial rock

iMovie 09

Don't worry, it's not your laptop (as far as my experience goes) its iMovie (09). Movie files of anything over 5 - 10 minutes take huge amounts of time to import on both my Unibody 2.4 MBP and my 3.06 iMac (see sig). Im afraid its just iMovie and as our friend above has stated, don't even get started on stabilisation!

Enjoy your new MBP and don't fret, its just iMovie.