17" MBP slow reconnect to wireless after wake from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmpage2, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I'm hoping I can get some ideas and guidance on this. A few months ago I bought my wife a 17" MBP. At the time we had a D-Link DIR655 Wireless-N router and the MBP worked great with it. If I woke the machine from sleep the reconnection to the wireless network was pretty much instantaneous.

Unfortunately that router started to flake out and I replaced it with what is considered to be a top of the line router, Netgear WNDR3700. This router has a dual N band. One band is N only the other one is B/G/N. I have attached the MBP to both networks.

When the MBP wakes up it takes up to a minute for the wireless to be re-established. Weirdly it will reconnect to the SECOND of the two networks that are listed in priority order on the advanced wireless settings.

If I remove either of the two networks and only have one listed, sometimes the MBP will take over a minute to eventually get reconnected.

Does anyone have any thought on this? It's very frustrating and I haven't figured out why the reconnection is so slow with this very high end router. All my other wireless devices maintain their connection to the router very well with no drops or reconnects.

Any thoughts on fixing this are welcome.

2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

This actually happened to me too. I used to use an Apple Airport Express, and now I use a Zyxel something or other ADSL-router that my ISP gave me.
    This is on a 2006 Whitebook, and annoys the hell out of me.

One thought I had was that it might be the encryption and connection methods. I have no idea what I used to use, but now I use WPA2-PSK.

3. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I am using WPA2-PSK, do you know if you are using TKIP or AES for the encryption key?

4. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I think I've uncovered the source of the problem. The MBP initially does not see the 5ghz a/n network on the WNDR3700. I manually created it on the MBP under the network advanced section. Even though I also put in the 2.4 ghz b/g/n network and gave it higher priority it seems as though as long as the MBP knows about the 5ghz a/n wireless it gets a bit mixed up trying to get connected.

Removing the a/n network from the MBP wireless list and only allowing it to the b/g/n network seems to have corrected the problem.

It is now connecting very quickly after wake from sleep. The only drawback is that it is not on the radio band dedicated to a/n use which means it will be running just a little bit slower as it is competing for the network with some b and g wireless devices.

Hopefully at a future time Apple will release an updated driver that is better able to handle the 5ghz wireless-n band.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Could be wrong but didn't Apple release an update for that? I'm not sure if it was for that or dual band routers.

6. jmpage2 thread starter macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The Macbook Pro in question has all updates loaded and is definitely having trouble with seeing the 5ghz N band on this router. The router in question is a fairly new (N final) dual band model.

It is possible that there is some particular glitch with this particular router model and the radio in the MBP and that Apple will address it with another update.

I hope so, because I would really prefer to put my N devices like the MBP on the 5ghz band primarily since it is less congested.