17" MBP to own em all

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevey69, Mar 22, 2012.

1. stevey69, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

stevey69 macrumors regular

hello all :apple:,
    i jus wanted to let you guys know that i finally am at peace with my quest for the perfect laptop. i had the 15 for 4 years wished to have something lighter for the on-the-go purposes, traded it for a 13mba, 17 + 15" mbp ( amazon deal ).. ended up returning 17 and 15 mbp's , kept the 13" mba for 4 months and then finally rebought the 17" mbp 5 days ago. i had the air for 4 months and couldn't stand the resolution and the fact that it has such terrible screen compared to a mbp not to mention the speakers on the air. 17" mbp, where everything is in HD and not ANY bigger than a 15" mbp size wise. sometimes you forget that its a 17. working and reading books and multi-tasking has been a joy. one of my docs recommended it to me and wow, I'm in love. if you have a 15" mbp, theres no reason NOT to go for the 17" ... i mean have you looked at the windows 17" , they are nothing close to a 17" mbp size wise. anyways. oh and for all the ppl that have dual hd + ssd, we 17" ers have a express 34 slot where you can dock a 96gb ssd and not have to worry about even opening the laptop.

[​IMG]

adios :D:p

esteban

Attached Files:

2. chilly7 macrumors member

I really like 17 inch laptops.
    They are still very portable while give u a better screen

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

4. stevey69 thread starter macrumors regular

hahah , idk why the photo is inverted but idk how to fix it. seriously, 17 is the new 15" mbp that a 15" never had.

1) screen estate + 1200p resolution, highest resolution on 15" mbp is 1680x1050
    2) express 34 slot ( ssd purposes or card reader)
    3) better speakers
    4) extra usb port which is handy !
    5) fits in my 15" swiss army backpack. idk what ppl complain bout lol.
    6) still the same great 7 hrs batt life !!
    7) did i mention how beautiful the screen is ?

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

14" is the new 13"; 17" is the new 11"; 21" is the new 17".

6. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Not long ago I would of totally disagreed with your post.

I really liked small laptops, actually I still do ... my thoughts where anything larger than a 13" wasn't for me. I 've owned the 11 and 13" MBA's, a few 13 and 15" MacBook Pro's and also a 17" MacBook Pro but returned it after a few weeks.

All that seemed important was thin, light and super portable, foolishly not thinking enough about the benefits having a 'mobile' large 17" screen. I'm much more productive with the large screen, less scrolling, pages fit perfectly side by side, more fun, convenient and easier to get things done.

If you're doing all your work at a desk the Thunderbolt displays allow you to use only one computer by simply hooking up to your laptop ... that's great if you like sitting around at a desk.

However I can't stand sitting at a desk anymore or working in one place but I love large screens and ACD's. I spend long hours on a compiter working from our company office, home office, kitchen table, den, deck and the list goes on ...

For years I've done that with 11 and 13" screens. Not long ago reading posts here from people who own and love their 17" MBP's it encouraged me to try it again. Am I ever glad I did!

For a main work machine I'll never go back to a 11 or 13" screen. Nor a 15", to me the 15 is to big to be considered super portable and the screen, even the hi res doesn't have enough screen real estate to make the added size/weight worthwhile.

On the other hand lift the lid on a 17" MBP and it's like you're on a desktop. So yes, I can relate to your post :)

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The 17in's 1920x1200 resolution is just astonishing.
    It always pissed me off to use 11in MBA to see 1080p videos but not until I met my 17in.

Full HD, 34 slot, and 3USB ports. All this is worth the extra cash and weight.

8. stevey69 thread starter macrumors regular

i seriously can't find one thing that is wrong with my 17" its perfect in every aspect! i mean yeah its 6.5 lbs , but wow , it blows me away every time i use it.I have used all sizes, i like the size of 13 but man, its too much to compromise... 15 is eh, it lacks that oomph when it comes to the resolution, which is personally something i always hated. the fact that it wasn't a true 1080p screen was just ehh. it was a beast in all aspects , but i guess I'm willing to trade away the portability for a beast - on - the - GO . i just put in a 48gb ssd in my express slot n it blows me away !

----------

agreed, it can't be topped by any other laptop.... or at least in my eyes.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Wow dude. We're all like super excited for you.

10. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Great story. I am happy for you that you found your perfect laptop. For me it was somehow the other way around. I used two different 17" for 4 years ( one at a time ) . When I got the first I thought this is the best and most perfect computer I have ever had and it was. After four years so I went back to the 15" and right now don't think I will ever buy a 17" again. Maybe if Apple Airs the 15" and doesn't offer a proper 15".In the end the 17" was a tiny bit too big for carrying around and on my desk where I use the laptops with my 23" Cinema Display.

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Apart from the fact that we can't all throw money away and just buy a better model. You may be able to afford three macbooks at once, however most people can't.

12. bniu macrumors 6502a

I never imagined the day I would own a 17" Laptop and last June, my dream came true. After years of getting talked into buying 13" MacBooks or MBPs, I finally fired my advice council and went out and got the biggest and baddest MBP money could buy. Almost a year later, I could not be happier!

13. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Tell that to my shoulderbag, please.

14. diannao macrumors regular

Yes, the 17" is a little bigger, but from my personal experience going from a 15" MBP to a 17" MBP wasn't the titanic lifestyle change some make it out to be. Things which barely fit the 15" won't fit the 17". You might need a new bag. Oh, the humanity.

For me the positives far outweigh the negatives. The 2011 model is a real portable workstation, 1920x1200 display and all.

15. stevey69 thread starter macrumors regular

LOL you fired him, thats funny. I'm never goin back to any other laptop. Im done sacrificing.

----------

the only negative i hear from ppl is that its too big. it makes me laugh, because when compared a 15 to a 17, 15 looks like a baby with a cheap diaper... I'm talking about the screen. the standard res of 15" mbp seems to be too cluttered to multi-task unless you are willing to upgrade ur screen... which at that point, you might as well buy a 17" unless a lb is REALLY going to break your shoulder since you travel thru deserts every single day.

----------

money wise, you are right. theres a 300$ diff between a top end 15" and a stock 17" . i wasn't able to afford all three, hence i returned them ... but i wanted to make up my mind before i went out buying something stupid which i was gonna regret later and sure enough, that had to happen. But when ppl get a top end 15" mbp with a high-res screen... at that point, you might as well get a 17 n call it a day.

16. robvas macrumors 68020

I'd rather get an iMac and a Macbook Air instead of a 17" Macbook Pro

17. stevey69 thread starter macrumors regular

can you take your iMac on-the-go? if i wanted the outmost portability ... id take a 11" air.

18. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

No need to be a smart ass. I was just saying that there is an appreciable difference in size between the two.

19. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I have owned a g4 1.67 17" Powerbook with the 1680x1050 screen, the 2006 core duo 2.16 with the 1680x1050 screen, and purchased the 17" i7 2.3ghz and installed a 320 series 80gb with the opitbay being 750gb, and have never been happier with my purchase. Having the 1200p resolution on my latest MBP has made me feel like I could never go with a lower resolution, seeing as my roommates with both the 13" MBP and 15" with the 1440x900. I can browse the web, type a document, and have twitter open all without moving any windows.

17" FTW!!!

20. T1ckT0ck macrumors newbie

Your picture had a gravity quirk.

I like that wallpaper a lot.

21. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

22. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

Why do you even bother to comment?

23. AppChat macrumors regular

llol i would love a 17inh screen but carrying that aroundunviersity would be a pain

24. ronjon10 macrumors regular

OP, glad you got something to work out for you.

You should change your sig though :p