17" MBP Unibody: HD or fan noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apersianboyCOM, Apr 26, 2009.

1. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I constantly hear a noise coming from my MBP even if it's idle, or just surfing the net! I can hear the noise from even 1 foot away!

I'm not sure whether its from the fans or the HD!
    My CPU temperature right now is 52C and fans are at 1999rpm (using SMC fan control).

My HD is a Hitachi 7200rpm 320GB.

Any help will be much appreciated to make my system silent.

2. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

I have the same setup.

My fan speeds are the same.

My CPU temp is 43C.

My computer is completely silent.

Perhaps a visit to a Genius? Sounds (no pun intended) like something is wrong.

(my stats are off of iSlayer)

3. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

A 7200rpm HD will obviously make more noise than a regular Hitachi 5400rpm HD like I have and what most Macs come with. Right now, my HD is making more noise than my fans and I'm also at 52 degrees CPU temperature.

Most likely, its your HD and it is normal. Nothing to worry about :)

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

as the poster said above. It's the HD. Your computer has moving parts of course there'll be sound. It can't be totally silent you know?

If the sound bothers you that much, get a SSD. it'll be even quieter, though you'll probably hear the fans then :p

relax enjoy your computer. Don't go looking for problems or let little things make you think you have problems

5. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

It's just that I'm comparing it to my first 2 MacBook Pro's that I had to get replaced, the first one had a Hitachi HD and it was super quiet, couldn't even hear the fans (unless I put them up to the higher setting), and the HD was really really quiet as well.
    My second unit had a Seagate HD and that was quite quiet as well, but this one I've noticed makes a noise which is mainly to the left of the trackpad (is that where the HD is?).

6. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Try putting your palm directly over where the harddrive is and press firmly. If the sound seems to go away, or is significantly reduced, then the noise is coming from your harddrive.

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

yes that is where the HD is. At least on the 15". Well all i can say is if you're unhappy with the noise to return it. one more wouldn't hurt.

8. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

actually it doesn't go away! maybe it's the fans?
    is there any way to lower the fans more tthan 1999rpm to see if they get quieter?

9. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

2000 rpm is the lowest it can safely go without risking damaging the CPU / GPU. You could also just be more sensitive to noise than other people.

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

google smc fancontrol. It's an app that lets you set fan speed. But as the poster above said, you really don't want to run it any lower because of the risk of heat damage.

11. GingerPrince macrumors member

I have a 7200 drive in a 15" and I'm getting the same noise. I wouldn't ordinarily be bothered too much but it didn't make this noise for the first 3 months. Also, I never get more than 2.5 hrs out of the battery which makes me think something is draining it.

I'm dropping it off for testing with Apple tonight, I'll let you know how I get on.

12. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got that already, that's why my fans are at 1999rpm!

Cool, be good to know what they say.

13. ARChoo macrumors newbie

Hi

I have just received my 17" MBP and it has a 320GB Seagate (ST9320421ASG) 7200rpm HD which is only audiable if I put my ear to the unit. Temp is 43 degrees and the fan speed is 1999rpm. Sounds like it might be the Hitachi drive or you have something wrong as I have never had a laptop this quiet. I hope this helps you by at least knowing that a noisy 17" MBP with a 7200rpm drive is not the norm at least not for me. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Rich

14. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actualy thinking about getting it replaced... but do you think they would do it? It's outside the 14 day period and I bought it online so can't take it into the store either! (as I have the CTO 7200RPM HD).

15. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

16. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Try taking it to the store and just say it's abnormally loud. See what they say. It can't hurt to try.

17. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

but the thing is I didn't order it from the store so I've got a feeling they will just tell me to get in touch with the online store instead so it'll be a waste of a trip!

18. WilliamG macrumors 604

Ok let's clear this all up, shall we?

The fans, at 2000rpm (default speed) are nigh-on silent unless you put your ear up against the MBP. The 7200rpm drives are NOT silent. They sound like a fan-whooshing sound. Switching to an SSD "fixes" the issue. Anyone who says their system is completely silent with a 7200rpm drive is either lying or not sensitive to the noise it makes. The sound doesn't really bother me, but it IS there.

To put this in perspective, I have 2x 15.4" unibody MBPs with 7200rpm drives, and a 17" unibody with 7200rpm drive. 2x Western Digital 320GB and 1x Hitachi 320GB. They sound nigh-on identical.

19. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, the thing is I've had 7200RPM HD's in all 3 of my MBP's and the first one which was a Hitachi was really really silent and I swear I could hardly hear it! The second one was a Seagate and I could hear it but it wasn't too loud!
    This 3rd replacement I can hear from a feet away which really annoys me!

The sound kind of comes from the top of the keyboard as well!

20. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

what should I do?
    I'm scared if I get another replacement it might have backlight bleed or other issues... damn this Apple transition hasn't been so smooth as this would be my 4th replacement!

21. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I see you havn't had much luck with Apple, my 17" (same as yours) has no noise coming from the 7200 drive, so people who say Unibody 7200 drives make any noise can get lost, although older ones can.

I would take it to the Apple store on Regent Street, they have a lot of 7200 drives in stock, and will replace it for you immediately if you have an issue with your current one, for free, remember to make a full backup using Time Machine onto an external hard drive first, because they wont give you your old one back :)

:apple:

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I suppose it depends on your ambients as well. We're getting into weather now that makes Macs break into a sweat, while better machines stay pretty much the same.

23. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it's actually the fan noise because it's coming more from the top left side of the keyboard.

What are you doing in Korea btw? lol

24. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

In London the weather is still wintery!

25. jpmack macrumors member

There is a known problem with some fans in the unibody MacBook Pros (maybe others, I don't know). Mine was silent for the first month, now the one on the left side is making sort of a ticking sound. I can hear it in a normal office environment, and my ears aren't that great anymore. Take yours (MacBook, not ears) to an Apple Store and calmly insist that it get fixed. They will replace the fan - I have heard of people getting it done while they wait. They may need to order the replacement fan, however.

Install smcFanControl and you can speed up the fans and hear the sound change - that'll confirm the source of the sound.