17" MBP (unibody) HD/RAM is user-replaceable, says Apple

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kallemia, Jan 10, 2009.

1. kallemia macrumors member

kallemia

I had seen this debated in several threads and have been wondering about it myself. Basically, what is Apple's stance regarding user-replaceable/serviceable parts in the new 17-inch unibody MBP? Are they like the MB and 15-inch MBP, user-replaceable/serviceable? Or, because of the integrated battery design, are they, like the MB Air, not user-replaceable/serviceable. Usually the definitive answer would come from the Support pages on the Apple web site and the 17-inch user manual. Those don't appear to be available at this point. However, the Apple web site page that promotes the 17-inch machine states clearly:

I had not seen this referred to in any of the posts that address this topic. So, if worry about the replacement or upgrade of hard drives/ram is of concern to someone, that concern would seem to be unwarranted. It appears that it's only slightly harder to change out the HD/ram in the new machine than in the 15-inch MBP and the MB.

Cheers,
    Kallemia

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

3. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I would have been astounded if Apple did anything else.Well spotted.

5. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

Do you think this is correct or perhaps they've copied and pasted the text from the 15" Unibody info and left it in error.. wont be the first time they've put something up on the site then its vanished...

EDIT!!! I've just checked the UK site.. and NO mention of the 'do it yourself' angle.. REALLY odd...but take a look

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/features-17inch.html

Everything fits.
    The 17-inch MacBook Pro comes with a large 320GB hard drive,4 so there’s plenty of room for your photo and video projects and other files. With up to 8GB of 1066MHz DDR3 memory, you can run more applications at once and instantly access even more of your stuff. Burn DVDs using the ultrafast 8x SuperDrive. MacBook Pro also offers an optional 128GB or 256GB solid-state drive, which has no moving parts for enhanced durability.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats correct, but replacing the battery must be done by Apple. And with the 17" the battery is the raw issue.

7. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

confusion...

So its easy to do the RAM? Surely if you're popping off the case then you can replace the battery too...ok it will take a while, but it can be done surely if youre inside the case anyway?

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I completely agree but Apple dont.

9. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

eh?

Im even more confused now.. battery aside.. its ok to open the case and do the RAM yourself.. but not the battery?

Out of interest.. is the RAM in the new MBP the same as in the current setup? Will this RAM work in a current generation imac? I was thinking of upping my imac to 4gb RAM and buying 8gb online for the MBP.

10. dannomac macrumors member

Same with the Canadian store: http://www.apple.com/ca/macbookpro/features-17inch.html

11. HBOC macrumors 68020

im wondering if my MBP will support only 6GB or Ram, or will it handle 8GB? I am assuming just 6 due to the memory on the uni's being DDr3...? Not that i will need 8GB right now, but..

12. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion