17'' MBP Update What/When

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigvb@hotmail.c, Feb 21, 2009.

  1. bigvb@hotmail.c macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2006
    #1
    So im going to buy one of the new 17'' unibody MBPs, and need to do so before mid June. I was wondering if there is likely to be an upgrade by then.

    If so, what would they change, would the price be constant? Would they just increase CPU?
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    They JUST came out.

    They haven't even been SHIPPED yet.

    At this point, the next update will just be Q1 2010 and Clarksfield Nehalem.
     
  3. uiop. macrumors 68020

    uiop.

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI
    #3
    Nothing will happen by June. Most people haven't even received theirs yet...
     
  4. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #4
    There could be an update then, but not as likely as the other MacBook Pros.

    Similar price. 133 MHz CPU bump. Not sure about anything else.

    If that happens, then it is likely that the MacBook Pros will be quite limited in CPU until Nehalem (since next step is 2.8 GHz and 17" has 2.67 GHz), unless the 17" gets a CPU-only bump too.

    And since most Clarksfields will be too hot for the MBP, we may not see it in the MBP. Or, we could see the low-end Clarksfield (most likely low GHz) and a bigger distinction between the 17" and 15". Also, Apple will need to allow lower-clocked quad-cores in the same line as higher-clocked dual-cores.
     
  5. cia33 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    Location:
    Philadelphia suburbs
    #5
    Nehalem

    How about the chance that MBP 17 will be updated to Nehalem in June? The chips will be available before then. Apple could be waiting for them to update.
     
  6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

    PeterQC

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2008
    #6
    No it won't be available.
     
  7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #7
    Clarksfield won't exist in June, so no, they won't be available.
     
  8. Dreamail macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Location:
    Beyond
    #8
    There might be an update in September with a new 'main' GPU and perhaps BluRay if we're very lucky.

    But no changes on the integrated graphics GPU which also means no changes on the max RAM side as the Nvidia chipset only supports up to 8GB and we're there already.
    And no change on the screen resolution either.


    Intel Core i7 for mobiles were originally scheduled for September-December 2009 but were pushed back until 2010. So no i7 anytime soon.

    And with Intel's current quarrels with Nvidia about whether the next gen Nvidia chipset can support i7 or not it is possible that the Nehalem MacBooks will have to use a differnt GPU setup again.
    Which might delay them quite a bit, perhaps well into 2010.


    If you want Nehalem in 2009, buy a desktop.
    And none from Apple (yet).
     
  9. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2009
    #9
    hahaha blu-ray in September
    hahahaha

    good joke man

    apart from that,

    Internal Blu-Ray 2014

    ----------------

    Your right with the internal Core i7's though
     
  10. tubbymac macrumors 65816

    tubbymac

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    #10
    Luck versus a big bag of hurt? Yeah, bag of hurt wins every time.
     
  11. cyberwolf777 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    #11
    Given the average time span between updates, the MBP line would see its next update in three months. This would correspond with the speed bump Intel has planned for the Core 2 Duo. It can be assumed that both the 15" and the 17" model will get the new processors in order to keep the speed differences between the models constant.

    For the 17", this would mean a 2.8 Ghz and a 3.06 Ghz CPU respectively.

    Other than that, no updates to the 17" model should be expected. Possibilities include, however, a 500GB harddrive (optional) and a price drop for the RAM and the SSDs (depending on the market situation).

    Waiting for a mobile Nehalem might not only be a long wait (maybe until Q2 2010) but also it is far from certain whether it will live up to its expectations regarding power consumption, performance etc.
     

Share This Page