17" MBP with 2 Samsung 256Gb SSDs in RAID 0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UNO, Feb 26, 2009.

1. UNO macrumors newbie

Just ordered the new Sammy SSD and going to go buy 2.66 17" MBP in the Apple Store tomorrow (****** Apple policies won't let overseas card in US store for custom order, and I can't wait anyway). I've also ordered the OptiBay caddy and extra RAM.

Originally I planned to just move the HDD to Optibay and use as a second drive. But now I think about going for a second Samsung and putting them into a RAID0.

I strongly believe that RAM and HDDs are most important when it comes to the performance in my situation (editing multiple multi-layer Photoshop files) + heavy web-browsing, some HD editing and RAW photos editing (Aperture, 21mpix files). I'd love to get the better CPU, but don't feel like it's that crucial.

Anyway, please, advice if you think that the double SSD RAID0 setup is technically possible and feasible (would boost performance)?

BENCHMARK:

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

I think it's hilarious that people (including myself) treat these laptops like powerhouses, considering the price vs performance of the MacPro. Regardless, a RAID0 with 2 SSDs sounds fantastic, and the Optibay will make it happen. Go for it.

3. UNO thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the MacPro, but it's left at home and I'm traveling now. I guess I'd do anything to get THAT feeling back :(

4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

it'd be an expensive experiment, but honestly, I personally don't think you're going to see a noticeable increase in improvement. If you're going to be running benchmarks, then you might see variables in results, but real word applications, I don't. here's an anology I like to use. you buy an already top the line sports car that can go tops at 180mph, you add modifications that'll bring it to 185mph. would that make a difference in everyday driving in real world streets and highways? no, will it make a difference on the race track where you're competing where one tenth of a second counts, perhaps.

there are people who buy things that'll give them an edge, and there are people who buy things that'll make them feel like its giving them an edge.

but in the end, its your money and if its burning a hole in your pocket, go for it.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Doesn't have to be burning a hole in his pocket. He may just have more than enough to engage in experimental activities.

Cheers,

6. phuong macrumors 6502a

i am also planning to get a raid0 setup in a 17" unibody... soon. only i cannot afford two SSDs so i have to use two normal HDDs. i'm with you 100%. who cares if raid0 increases your chance to lose data. that's just irrelevant if you don't put anything important on your laptop. and even if you do, there is this thing called time machine anyway.

so dont listen to the people who are whining to you about how little different it will make... and keep us posted...

7. UNO thread starter macrumors newbie

SSDs arrived today. The MBPU purchased yesterday. Now waiting for the OmniBay and RAM from OWC. Once everything is here I'll post benchmarks.

Think about Formula 1... that extra 5mph can make a difference between winner and, you guessed - looser. This laptop is temporary working machine for me, and just 2-3 saved hours compensate for the extra investment I made. I already have a beefed-up MBP 15" but it not a "top of the line sports car" anymore.

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

You so need raid0 for that. :rolleyes:

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No actually the biggest difference is the driver and in this case the operator. ;)

10. UNO thread starter macrumors newbie

That was after +, and before the + there was "photoshop files". I normally do that on a MacPro with 16gb and I wish I could open even more files simultaneously and work with them without hiccups. With my current MBP I have to close down Safari to open more than 3 PSDs I work with.

11. UNO thread starter macrumors newbie

:rolleyes: ok, ok somebody might actually open up a file faster than I do, but hey, I didn't say I'm not learning. :eek:

12. NightSailor macrumors 6502

NightSailor

It is a good idea. Please post your benchmarks when you get them.

The CPU Factor: But why do you want to cripple it with the slower processor? If you look at the XBench results for both processors, you will see the faster processor makes a huge improvement with the SSD upgrade. My new MBP is faster than my Mac Pro--at least until I update my desktop system with SSD's.

Apple SSD: Also, note that the performance specs of the Toshiba SSD is slightly better than the Samsung, and it doesn't seem to be as fast as expected. Not that I am complaining. I get one bounce on my dock and the application is up. Why would you want to be any faster? The CPU is the main bottleneck now, or rather the OS and application software that doesn't know how to utilize multiple cores effectively. Pick some CPU intensive task like rendering video and you will see what I mean.

SSD Brands: The Intel SSD provides the best speed. And if you go for the 64Gb enterprise grade SLC's you pick up on write peformance also.

For the fastest MacBook Pro: If you want the fastest MacBook Pro, chose the fastest CPU, and the fastest SSD's.

One final point. I think the best reason to remove the Optical drive is to make the machine quieter. I find that I hate the sounds the optical drive makes, even when it is empty. I've gotten over the creepy feeling I had when I pressed the start button and heard nothing--now I love the fact it is so quiet.

13. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I can imagine this, and it does indeed seem very creepy.

14. UNO thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd go for the better processor, but that means 2 extra weeks wait (and I plan to travel to another country in 5 days). I watch my current CPU and it really looks like it's VERY rarely overloading, while RAM is almost always maxed-out and Photoshop is accessing disk like crazy. So, I just couldn't justify waiting.

The new Samsung SSDs (MLC) are said to be faster than Intel SSDs, but we'll see it soon. I've heard only bad things about Toshiba SSDs so far on this forum. One of us is confused. :)

15. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I don't consider it hilarious. Many of us need the best MOBILE computing experience we can get... so yes, I treat it like a mobile powerhouse...

16. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Wait, how can his solution be mobile ? He has 2 drives in raid0 in a computer with 1 drive enclosure.

17. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

He was talking about the obtibay.

18. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I currently have SSDs in 4 laptops, and 1 desktop. In the past, I have had a RAID 0 in a desktop using dual Raptor HDDs. Based on my experiences, there is no way that I would choose a RAID 0 HDD setup over a single SSD.

/Jim