17" MBP wont turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c7aea, Oct 2, 2010.

1. c7aea macrumors regular

Hi, I am new here and I have a big problem...

My computer is about 28 months old and has been working great until the other day... I turned it off at night and went to go turn it back on in the morning and it wont boot.
    It turns on only for 2-3 seconds I can hear the dvd drive and HDD make noise the screen never turns on then it shuts off. If I hold down the power button the computer stays on a little longer and the front indicator light begins to flash then it shuts down. There are no other noises to indicate bad RAM. The fans are running at normal speed.
    It does the same thing running off the battery or power cable.
    I thought maybe it was the HDD so I pulled it out and it is recognized by another computer.

Any ideas what it could be? Could the thermal switch prevent the computer from turning on?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You wouldn't happen to have an nvidia 8600m gt gpu?

3. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Oh man I hope not.

4. c7aea thread starter macrumors regular

I am not sure what GPU I have. Is there a way to tell from one of the numbers on the computer case?
    I did read about that problem, however I had no previous symptoms that have read about.
    Could that cause the computer to turn off by itself after only a few seconds?

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You can tell by the case itself. Is it the newer one with the black keys and/or glass screen? Eyeballing the date range, it looks like it could be the older first generation MBPs with silver keys.

But I doubt that issue would cause the machine to turn on and off. It might, but most report that the machine is still on until the user shuts it down.

6. c7aea thread starter macrumors regular

Its not the newer one. It is the version with the silver keys.

7. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

It's a faulty motherboard Yo, I got this back in october, You think it will bong but it dies, or it bongs and then dies, can't remember! :( Try to get a replacement out of them, I couldn't :(

8. c7aea thread starter macrumors regular

Well mine isnt even close to making the bong noise...
    I have been doing some searching and found its about 1200 for a new mother board ouch. I have found them for like 700 online but cant find the exact one I need.
    I have a question what does the left logic board control? Those seem to cause a lot of problems and are much cheaper and easier to replace.

I will bring it to an apple store soon... I am assuming they can diagnose which board is bad. Do they take it out and run tests?

I have no problem replacing the board myself if I am sure that's the problem and I can find the correct replacement.