17" MBPs: Clean screen, tips, habits and questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pagga, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    I got my 17" unibody with the glassy (glossy) screen a month ago. I soon found myself whiping it free from dust, fatspots and fingerprints several times each day. A few changes of habits made it stay clean longer.

- Wash your hands before use.
    - Keep your notebook in its case when not in use.
    - Whipe the keyboard gently with microfiber cloth from time to time. Explaination: I have noticed when the screen is folded, it rests lightly pressed against the keyboard. That means that any fat, food or dust here will immediately transsport itself onto the screen.
    - On a weekly basis, small, glasslike stains appear; whipe carefully with a spot of water (do not use spit!).

I would very much like to hear how the matte screen works. If it attracts less dust or not. The glassy, I would say atteracts little dust, but is very easily stained.

Please share your own routine and experience. I´m sure there are better tips than mine.

P

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

NO not really all my previous 17" matte ones still had finger prints from people pointing at things in photos. I let my baby daughter play with my daughter..So I have the same number of baby hand prints and random sticky food finger marks as prior. I am not really bothered I give it a clean when it gets bad, or if it is really bad at the time. Other then that I do not really care, I love apple computers, but it is a machine and is replaceable.

3. blunotes macrumors newbie

MBP 17" Gel on screen

I have noticed the same thing on mine. I thought it was something from my fingers but not really. I put a piece of cleaning tissue on the keyboards and closed it. The following day there was nothing. The day after, I've forgotten to put the tissue on and there it was that greasy gel like thingy was there again but it seems to be less than in the beginning.

I would like to find out what it is. Maybe I've got slimed! Other than that the computer is awesome.

Blu

4. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I always keep the thin foam packing sheet, placed between the keyboard and screen, which comes with the new laptops.

I just got my clearguard and these 2 items work quite well with each other.

5. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

My MacBook Pro is protected with:

- Moshi clearguard
    - Clear Speck’s SeeThru hard shell case
    - Portectorz Data port protection
    - Power Support’s Screen Protector
    - invisibleSHIELD’s Full Body Coverage

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

My MacBook Pro 17" is naked. And I plan to keep it that way. Its going to be "used" no matter what. If it was a limited edition thing then I would take more care of it.

And to clean my system, I use alcohol wipes for the keyboard/base (outer and inner casing). Use water + clean towel for the screen and touchpad.