17" million-colors description (better panel?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphaod, Jan 6, 2009.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

We know the computers have been using crappy 6-bit TN panels with dithering. Now they specifically advertise that the new ones have 60% more colors which would mean it should be either an MVA/PVA or IPS panel.

I know no one has the computer yet, but what y'all thoughts on this?

2. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I've been curious about. If I could get that in a 15" I'd return this MBP I just got from Amazon and re-order with the updated screen.

I wish someone at Moscone would check the panel type so we could all start researching it.

3. Moriarty macrumors 6502

17 inch MBP with an IPS panel...? Quite a far-fetched idea given that no one makes PVA or IPS panels for notebooks any more.

As far as we know. It won't be the first time Apple has had something like this made especially for them (the first Macbook Air's CPU was a "special order").

And who says it isn't a "desktop panel"? Is there any fundamental difference between a laptop and a desktop LCD besides size?

If it really is a PVA or IPS panel, I'm going to have to find some good excuses to justify the purchase to myself...

4. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

I believe they're designed to use much less power.

5. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

judging by this picture :

[​IMG]

It's a TN panel (negative blacks when viewing at certain angles).

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

7. Moriarty macrumors 6502

I thought the power consumption was mostly only a result of two things:

1) Backlight power
    2) Panel type

There were some laptops made by IBM that, for a short period, had IPS panels in them, so it's clearly possible. Maybe I'm wrong, there. I think IPS panels do consume more power, but it's not a prohibitive amount - the only real thing stopping any more laptops with IPS panels being produced is the huge cost of producing small IPS displays.

8. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

That's not 60 percent more colors but just a wider range (think more "volume") inside which the same number of colors are displayed.

Anyone who doesn't know what "gamut" means should just stop thinking about this in a positive way.

It effectively means that they use different filters and maybe different background lighting now.

It means that the colors on the MBP 17" will be even more off the widespread sRGB standard that is used on all HDTV and PAL TVs, the internet and by all photo-printing services that don't work with special color-profiles.

It means that gradient-steps will be bigger (less fluently looking) because a wider gamut range has to be covered by the same number of gradation steps (less than 256 grey levels on my MBP 15" and so likely also less on the 17" ones).

It means mostly fancy blah for everyone who is not involved into print and photo editing and needs color-calibration hardware to be of any practical use. :apple:

It will look shiney though. :cool: :D

9. rickeames macrumors regular

So this is still not an 8-bit display? Uuuughghghghghg. The SONY has a beautiful 8-bit display with RGB LED.

Well, pooh.