17" Motherboard in a 20" iMac G5?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrBioHazard, Aug 25, 2013.

1. MrBioHazard macrumors newbie

Hello, all.
    I recently came into possession of a 2005 20" iMac G5 with a bad motherboard. While searching for the motherboard online, I noticed that some of the 17" motherboards have the same part number (820-1540-A). Will this motherboard from a 17" work in my 20"? I searched on here, but was unable to find an answer to this question. I would greatly appreciate anyone's assistance with this matter.

2. MrBioHazard thread starter macrumors newbie

3. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I doubt many have made this swap. If the part numbers are the same, then they should be swappable. The biggest question is how much is this going to cost you to do so, because an 8 year old company could die completely on you at any given minute. I'm going to guess any motherboard you buy will also be used which could give out just like the current one did.

4. MrBioHazard thread starter macrumors newbie

So it may or may not work, basically. I was asking because the motherboard from the 17" is less than half of the price of the motherboard for the 20", so I figured that if it would work, being the same part number, I could save a few bucks that way. I found a few on ebay that were re-conditioned or refurbished, so thought it might work. But something tells me that if no one else has done it, there's a good chance that it will not work. Oh, well. It was worth a shot.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

Plus this is the wrong forum.

PPC ≠ Intel

6. MrBioHazard thread starter macrumors newbie

I apologize. I am new and did not see the rule about bumping a thread. It won't happen a second time.

As to it being the incorrect forum, I was not aware that my machine was a PPC/Intel model. Could I ask a moderator to kindly re-locate this thread for me, please?