17" Mpb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcfl50, Aug 31, 2010.

1. dcfl50 macrumors newbie

I will be purchasing a 17" in the near future. Went to the closet place that sells them, best buy, but they cannot upgrade the laptop to the specs I want. I am especially interested in making a comparison between the
    standard glossy screen and the anit-glare screen.

I will be using this system for my photography business while traveling. Also,
    can a competent techie, install aperature 3? Or is it only possible when on
    custom builds the mbp?

It is about a 2.5 hour drive to the apple store for me, but best buy cannot do the upgrades I want to build a customized mbp 17".

If anyone else has made this decison to a anti-glare screen, are you pleased with the results?

Person at the apple store said I can make a comparision of the two screens
    at the store.

Thanking you all in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As with every software, you can install it yourself. Apple just offers to do the installation, nothing "techie" about it.

If you're in different places a lot, the Anti-Glare version is the better suit, as you don't have to take of how you properly avoid the glare from this or that light source.

If the "custom things" you ant are more RAM or/and HDD, you can do it yourself for less money and it is not that complicated, the User Guide coming with that Mac will tell you how.

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under Minor Problems)
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

basically the only thing you cant upgrade by yourself later is the CPU and GPU :)

4. dcfl50 thread starter macrumors newbie

17" Mbp

Thank you for that information.

So I can buy the basic mbp with a couple of upgrades and install them myself.
    This information is very helpful.

5. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

bought my 17" with the i7, then bought 8GB ram and a faster drive and sold the parts I took out of it. ;)

6. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

why can't we just unsolder the CPU/GPU from the logic board then solder another one in?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That would take a serious amount of skill and talent and tools. As not everyone has those, or a machine with them, it is highly unlikely, that many people do that.

Changing the RAM is parking a car, changing the CPU or GPU or both is flying an airplane.

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

more like space shuttle...

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I thought of that too, but a space shuttle is brought into orbit with a rocket and to land it just falls back to earth, in simple terms of course. Anyway, unsolder and solder a CPU/GPU is kind of hard to do, but maybe ifixit has a guide on that too, if not, maybe someone should do one or two for them.

I would really like to solder a G5 into my G4 iBook, better yet, a Xeon CPU would be nice, but that CPU can go into my MBA.

10. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

damn. i've always wondered that. i'm in engineering in school and we're always soldering something. i've always wanted to give it a try. has anyone ever seen this done?

i might crack open this old macbook i've got lying around and see what's up.

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

chances are the processor will not be supported by the motherboard so that just sucks.

12. nawoo macrumors regular

I'm a wedding photographer and i just got the 17in i7 with anti glare screen. What can I say, get the anti glare!!! It's definitely definitely way way better than Glossy. Trust me!!

Those reflections are a real pain in the ass. I own the 24in LED display and used to have a glossy 15in Unibody as well. Sold that off cuz the gloss was just too irritating.

Why would you need to drive yourself down to a best buy to get the notebook when you could just order it off Apple store online, fully customized to the specs you want, and have it delivered free to your doorstep?

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I'll definitely second the anti-glare display for photos. The glare can be very distracting.

14. mk1ap macrumors member

I had my mind set on a glossy 17" for a couple of months and saving funds and finally purchased it last week and 2 days later returned it. Couldn't stand looking at a 17" mirror. AG is a must.

15. pinsrw macrumors regular

I think one thing I like about the 13.3" (which Apple really ought to upgrade to a 14.5"), is that it's small enough so that its glossy surface never reflects much that's behind me. It's a result of the narrow angles involved. When I tried the 17" at the Apple store only the central part was easily visible and toward the left/right edges it was more like a mirror.

16. dcfl50 thread starter macrumors newbie

17" Mbp

Thanks all the comments and great information. Nawoo, I think it would benefit me to go to the apple store and judge the glossy and anti-glare screens side by side. Heck it took me a good year before deciding on which digital cameras to purchase when I put the 4x5 viewcamera in the closet after
    30 years of 4x5 film.

Guess I like to be satisfied with electronic equipment that I have to live with.

17. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have the same experience. I'm glad you posted this, I thought it was just me, lol.

I can handle the glossy on the 13" no problem. On a 17" even a 15" you notice the reflections a lot more, more glass.