17'' New uMBP or Refurbished Spending Spree?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac-mania, Jun 21, 2009.

1. mac-mania macrumors member

Hello All!

I thought I had finally figured out what I was buying (the new 17'' MBP) but then I saw a plethora of inexpensive refurbished machines over at Apple. I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a new unibody 17'' MBP or buy a Rev. A Refurbished Macbook Air and a 24'' iMac.

Now, just some back story, I had a 20'' iMac and a 13'' uMB for a while and ended up selling both because I didn't like having two pretty powerful computers, as you can't use both at once, and I'd hate to see myself fall into that again but the Air is def. different than the MB in terms of performance. Both options end up costing me around 2300.00, and it seems like in terms of value the combo deal would be best.

There is also a last, darkhorse option, last falls 15'' MBP refurb and a refurbished 24'' ACD.

All will cost about the same, what would you choose?

2. zp3dd4 macrumors member

i'd say get the unibody 17" refurb. They are basically the old stock models, but are 400 bucks cheaper for only a loss of 0.2ghz in processor and 160gig in harddrive. You probably won't notice the difference in processor (even though the cache is larger in the newer models) and you can always upgrade the harddrive to ssd once the prices go down.

3. Doju macrumors 68000

I'd go for the darkhouse. Pretty much like the second deal, but like you said, you don't like two computers at once, so you'd have the benefit of the massive screen, but only have the one powerful computer.

4. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

get the 2nd one it will be good to have a really powerful machine at home with a big screen and a nice small portable

5. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I would get the 15 inch MBP, plus the refurb 24.

My wife is about to get the same setup, but she is getting the new high end 13 inch MBP. I am jealous.

7. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

I'd have to agree with that, you get the best of both worlds yet don't have to deal with two computers.

8. Pixellated macrumors 65816