17" or 15" Matte i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by g-bomber, May 29, 2010.

1. g-bomber macrumors newbie

If you had the money and were buying now, which would you which would you buy if it was going to be your only pc?

PS. this was supposed to be a poll, but I cant find any options to add one :(

2. Mirabella macrumors regular

I did have the money and I did buy the 17" Matte i7. So far, I've been happy with my purchase, too.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Really depends on your mobility needs. I would either get a 17" MBP or a 15" one with a high-res screen.

4. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

To me the 15" is the sweet spot between mobility and power. It just feels right in my hands when I am carrying it around and dosen't look ridiculous on my lap but is just as powerful as the 17".

That being said I have owned a 17" and also brought it around everywhere with much concern. Both great options but the 15" just feels right to me. Mabye try to get your hands on one?

5. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

My MBP history so far has been 15" CD, 17" C2D and now 15" C2D Unibody. I stepped to the 15" because the unibody 17" hadn't been released at that point and the my screen was going. It was a mistake for me. I'm in to photography and the extra 2" make a hugh difference to me. I will be going 17" i7 matte this year sometime.

6. g-bomber thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies all

I have looked all over the my city and no stores stock the 15" hires options, so I have only seen the standard - and the 17" wins for me at the moment, but Id rather the 15" if the Hires isnt too much less screen 'real estate' than the 17"

Anyone had a chance to compare the two side by side ?

7. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

On Tuesday I am heading to my Apple store to check on the hires and standard screens but from what I have read on the net, it seems pretty good.

8. tim100 macrumors 65816

I got the 17 antiglare. the 15 high res anti glare is nice but the 17 does have alot more real estate. the 15 standard and 15 high res side by side is not a huge difference in real estate.

9. g-bomber thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, after hearing that I'm leaning more towards the 17" - will just have to make do with any portability issues. Hardest decision Ive had to make in while as it constitutes most of my hard-earned cash :p

Which do you think would hold more of its value?

10. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

No matter 15 or 17
    Matte screen is a MUST :D

Anyway, I prefer 17-inch~

In my case I'll upgrade to Hi res + Matte if I'm going to get a 15-inch.
    However, if you look at the price you need to add, is not worth~
    So I did choose the 17-inch :D and I'm loving it~

PS: Both are good machine~

11. apple.gr macrumors regular

If you don't want to move it outside get the 17". My 15" is the best for me and the HiRes is awesome!

12. kolax macrumors G3

If Apple still offered 1680x1050 on the 17" MacBook Pro, I'd get it in a flash.

13. banalelectric macrumors member

14. banalelectric macrumors member

I was also a bit wary of the tiny fonts of the 1920x1200 resolution but it has proven to be a non-issue for me. I got used to pinching to adjust font sizes on websites pretty quick, using the zoom function when needed, etc. The split second of fussing required to make text readable in most applications is a very minor tradeoff for the amount of portable screen real estate you get. For editing photos, video, or audio, the 17" screen is awesome.

That said, OP, it took me three trips to the Apple Store to settle on the 17" rather than the 15" hi-res. What did it for me was noticing how the bezel on the 17" screen is actually narrower than the one on the 15" model (which actually looks a lot sexier, but that's beside the point.) The smaller bezel means you are gaining more in screen real estate than you are losing in portability, if that makes any sense. This is a totally subjective argument, of course, but that's what pushed me to go for the 17" AG. No regrets so far ;)

15. banalelectric macrumors member

16. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

I'd buy, the i7 Matte 15 in a heart beat over the 17 inch. I feel that the 17 is a bit over excessive for a laptop, 15 i feel is the the max before a laptop starts to lose its 'ease of portability'.

That and Matte just looks soooo beautiful. Even just the laptop, I thought I really liked the Black Bezel (and I do), but when I got my matte MBP, I liked the look even better; Aluminium bezel.

17. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

I used all the time the HR AG screens on my laptops its good if you use it for reading,
    but this time I will take the glosy one its much niceser for games pictures moveis and jus fan.

18. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

I bought the 15" antiglare because:

-The 17" would be too much for me because I use it 90% of the time plugged into a 24" monitor.

-You have to pay extra to get an i7 in a already overpriced 17" laptop.

-The 15" is high res, so you already have lots of real state screen to work on.

19. banalelectric macrumors member

For the record, the 17" i7 matte is exactly $200 more than a high-res 15" MPB. For me the price difference was a non-factor, especially considering that the 17" MPB used to cost $500+ more than the nearest 15" model. The 17" is currently as cheap as it's ever been.

I'm a taller fellow so the size of the 17" wasn't much of a deterrent for me. It literally is 1 pound heavier than the 15" and about an inch wider. I could see the extra weight being a factor if you travel a lot or are constantly on the move with your computer, but for regular use I really haven't felt much of a difference from my 15" Powerbook. Your mileage may vary of course.

Spend some time with a glossy screen in a store if you can. The glare really is an issue for a lot of people and I'd hate for you to find out the hard way that you're one of them.

20. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Totally Agree!!!!
    BTW... Do you think there is a lot different between i5 and i7?
    From what I know there is tiny different, that's why I didn't upgrade to i7

21. g-bomber thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally had the chance to see a 15" i7 AG, and the Matte finish is awesome, so thats a definite, now its just to decide between the 15" and the 17" - as mentioned above there's only $200 between them, so now its just a matter of deciding whether or not the 17" is too big to be practical..

22. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

go with the 15" still mobile and can still pack the same power the 17".

23. Ferry888 macrumors member

I guess it all depends on your needs. If you don't carry it much around and use it as a desktop replacement then you'd probably should for the 17" since the extra screen real estate is nice. If you plan to move around a lot then the 15" will be better. I personally bought the 15" because for me it is the right size. It's still pretty portable and the screen is not to small to work with for long hours. Whatever you get, I do recommend the anti-glare option for screens. You'll love your new mac. It's mine first and I've never looked back to windows again.

24. yourfriendjames macrumors newbie

I had the 1st gen macbook pro 1,1 (1.83) 15" for 4 years. I am a photojournalist and the 15" was fine. A few weeks ago i picked up the 17" antiglare and to me, it actually seems the same, if not lighter than my old 15". The screen real estate and the HD screen are EASILY worth the extra $200. I carry my 17" around and it is actually nice to carry since it is slimmer than my 15". Plus, its not as big as i thought, so its very comfortable to use on my lap. Surprisingly, i think the size of it makes it easier to type when i place it on my lap.

I debated a long time between the 15" and the 17". I actually placed an order for the 15" first, but cancelled and went with the 17". No regrets at all, and now after using the 17" for almost a month, the size feels "normal" to me.

25. kolax macrumors G3

Last year, I had a 17" MBP for just over a week and adjusted to the size of the thing very quickly (returned it because of the high-res, my eyes couldn't handle it). It seemed normal and when I looked at my friend's 15" MBP, it looked so small, almost like a 13" MBP!

Same happened when I had to use a 13" MB for a couple of weeks, when I finally got to use my 15" MBP again, it seemed huge!