17" or 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by supercaliber, Apr 27, 2010.

1. supercaliber macrumors regular

There are probably other threads on this subject, but searching for them is futile as it seems the forum search tool doesn't match on 15" or 17"

Anyway,

I am considering either a 17" or 15" macbook pro. I currently own a 15".

I am looking for people that switched to the larger screen or switched from the larger screen and what they feel about their decision now.

I think 17 may be the way to go for me because weight is not that big of a deal. I am not a student or a salesman. Also, I like the idea of higher res but not with smaller real estate.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

3. shadygrove macrumors regular

I went with a 15'' because it has the i7 processor. I had a 17'' PowerBook and while being more than strong enough to carry it everywhere with me, was still too big for my taste. If you want the highest specs you can get, go with the i7. I also ordered the HiRes Glossy for extra space.

4. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

15", I believe the 17" is too big.

Though the extra screen real estate on the 17 i nice.

5. JerseyBill macrumors member

One important distinction is that ONLY the 17" has the ExpressCard slot in the new MBP series - while the 15" just has an SD card slot.

Thus, if you want to easily use an external eSATA or Compact Flash card reader, it will be a lot easier to employ the ExpressCard slot on the 17" to make that happen.

I ordered a 17" which should be delivered this or next week. My compelling reason was that - at age 52 - the larger the screen I have to work with the better. My work laptop is a 12" screen and I just cannot stand working with it anymore. I need as much real esatate on the screen as I can carry.

A 17" is not THAT big that many laptop bags cannot absorb it just fine.

6. underblu macrumors regular

I had the same dilemma myself. Came from a 15" MBP to a 17" With the anti-glare display the difference in weight is less than a pound and the 17" feels only marginally bigger.

I really like the bigger screen hence I've decided to stay with my 17"

If I was traveling a lot and already had a main desktop PC, I'd go with the 13" MBP

If I did not have a main desktop PC and was traveling a lot I'd probably go with the 15"

If i did or did not have a main desktop PC and was doing only sporadic traveling I'd go for the 17". At only 200.00 more than the hires 15 it's a bargain imho and the big screen is really nice

7. jess222 macrumors 6502

jess222

went from a 15" to a 17" myself and i have no regrets! the screen is awesome and the size isn't an issue at all. i would def recommend it! :)

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I currently own a 15" MBP unibody and I love it, but recently I have been thinking about getting the 17" for my next MBP... probably during the next update in June or October whenever that is. I find that my MBP rarely leaves my house, I have a 25 in 1 express card reader which I don't want to give up for just SD, and the extra screen real estate and resolution will definitely be nice.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Go to the store. This is 100% subjective. In general, most seem to regard the 17" as too big/not portable; this has not been my personal experience over the past five years.

Remember it's really just about the size, not the weight which is only 1 pound heavier.

10. supercaliber thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm high res = small font on 15"

I have read other posts today about high res being too small to read on 15 inch

i think this may be my deciding factor. I like higher res, but hate tiny font.

I think 500 GB ssd too, heck i spent 3k on my last laptop, so another 3k a few years later shouldn't make me blink.

I do wonder about the durability/warranty on those drives. I seriously would not ever expect them to boot each morning, would consider that a bonus that I didn't have to go with backup system for the day.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Have you seen the native font size on 17"? You should if that is a consideration. It's rather small.

12. tim100 macrumors 65816

i went from a 17 to a 15. laptops are meant to be small. where would it stop 20 inch laptop.

13. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

The difference between a fully configured 15" and a 17" is only a couple hundred dollars. Go for the "real estate" is my opinion.

I just ordered a new 17"MBP i7@2.66, 4GB, 72k500 HDD, anti glare screen. This will replace my antique 6 year old 17" PowerBook. My new MBP was $600 less then I paid for my PB. Love it... :D

I looked at the 13" and 15" I decided I just couldn't give up the large 17" anti glare screen. I use it as my main and only computer.

I have NO problem taking it where ever I need too.

I looked at 18.5" screens. They were BIG and BEAUTIFUL...!!! The only problem with those was they were attached to a PC... :eek:

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I went from a 15" to a 17". I ordered the 17 because i needed the express card slot. And now i'm glad I did go for the 17" Its portable and the extra screen real-estate is worth it. For me using FCP is awesome on the larger screen compared to a 15". I can sit in bed with it without a problem.
    When my computer got deivliered, and I saw how small the box I was really impressed once I opened it and turned it on and saw how awesome the screen is, i was in love! :D
    my only complaint is there is no apple logo on the command key :rolleyes:

15. Mirabella macrumors regular

I used to use a 15" TiBook. Three years ago, I switched to a 17" MacBook Pro.

I don't find 17" too big to carry around. I don't find it too heavy. I don't find it too big for coach class on an airplane, either – though that may be because I'm slim; I might find it a problem if I had a big, protruding belly. Nor do I have any trouble reading the fonts on the screen.

I love the extra screen real estate and resolution. I like the 17" size way better than the 15 inch size screen.

I've used a newer 17" MacBook Pro, with a 1900 x 1200 screen, and I can still read the text on that screen just fine. I like it, and I have a new MacBook Pro on order with the 17" screen.

16. tim100 macrumors 65816

15 vs 17

it seems like the trend is toward smaller laptops. it seems most people at the local coffee shops have 13-15 inch laptops.

the desktop replacement 17inch and up are still around but don't seem as popular. I was told at bestbuy they dont keep many 17 mbp in stock. does anyone have information to back this up sales info.

i think the 17 should have gotten the i7 stock, wonder why it didnt?

17. underblu macrumors regular

I don't get the whole laptop Starbucks thing. If I was a coffee shop browser I'd get an iPad. Seems like a good way to spill some coffee on your new mbp.

With that said, the 17" would be completely badass in a coffee shop. It's like you have the Prius (the 13" MBP) the Camry (the 15" MBP) and you're pulling in with the HUmvee of MBPros. Live a little. And if any "treehuggers" using them smaller MBP raise an envious eyebrow to you just remind them that even the 17" has got zero emissions.

Seriously though trim out your 15" with 1/2 inch of Styrofoam all around. Do you really notice a bulk difference. I really think this is more a perception thing because honestly in use, the 17" feels no bulkier than the 15" MBP I replaced it with. And I was worried about the size too.

18. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I got the 17" i5 and i have to say its pretty sweet. I dont know what all these people are talking about saying its too big and heavy. Its only 1POUND heavier than the 15". I use it everywhere. And as far as native font size, if its too small for your taste, you can always pinch to zoom on the trackpad in a nanosecond. Problem solved.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

People at my local coffee shops aren't rich enough to get a $2500 computer when they can get a $1000 computer that's just as functional at a college level.

20. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I've been using an anti glare 17" PB for the last 6 years. I decided it was time to upgrade to a newer faster computer. I just ordered a 17"MBP i7@2.66, 4, 72k500 HDD.

I went down to the store and spent some time on the 13", 15" and 17"

I do photo editing and I'm buying CS5 on May 25th. The glossy screen on the 13" didn't work for me. The reflected images of myself, :eek: lighting etc were unacceptable. The 15" hi res anti glare was ok, but just not quite there. Then I sat behind the 17" and I felt like "I was home again"

I guess I just got spoiled and unwilling to settle for anything less in screen size. I have been able to take my 17" anywhere I wanted to for the last 6 years and it has NEVER been a problem. I will be packing the new one in a camera back pack so I can use it in the field as well. My prortable desk top replacement killer machine. ;) :D

Can't wait for it to get here... :D:D:cool:

21. mingoglia macrumors 6502

My old laptop died back in November so I bought a 17" Win 7 machine until the new MBP's came out (ordered my 17" last week and should get it Monday). I can still speak to this thread since it's roughly the same size. I've always carried my laptop in a thin case. Although it was more difficult to find a 17" case, particularly a slim one once I found it I can't tell any difference at all. It's not noticeably bigger, or heavier. Where you do notice it is when you're using it. The extra screen size is worth it IMHO.

As others have said in various other threads it's a bit big to use on a seat back tray on an airplane. Luckily I typically only watch a DVD on an airplane and don't actually work. For watching a DVD it's acceptable to have the screen a bit more forward and have it be usable. Yeah not ideal, but works fine for watching movies. I'm pretty call with much of my height made up by my torso so your mileage may vary on an airplane as different size folks tilt their screens at different angles for comfort.

Mike

22. tim100 macrumors 65816

The 17 does not look that big unless it is next to a 15 most people would think it was a 15 due to the great design.