Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
London
I've decided to move into this century as my old graphite iMac becomes more outmoded by the day. I'll be using my new computer for mainly music,photos and basic video. My girlfriend does quite a bit of work from home so was thinking of getting all wi-fied up so she can move the computer around the flat while looking after our 18 month old son. So my question is do we go for a 17 or 20 inch iMac ???? Is the 20 inch that much better ?? Or would people recommend a top of the range iBook. Also is there any market for old graphite iMacs in perfect working order ??

Cheers

Mark

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
bollard said:
Or would people recommend a top of the range iBook.
Do you need portability or have a lack of space?

If not then stick to iMac - more for your money.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
20", unless money, room, or portability are an issue.

I'd get your woman down to the Apple store to try lifting one before you buy, if she's planning to move around alot she's either going to need to be strong or consider a laptop.

bollard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
London
Downstairs where the computer is now a 20 would be a bit big but would be no problem. Upstairs a 20 would be fine. How heavy are they ???
It really doesn't need to be incredibly portable just easy enough to move upstairs once a day.

bollard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
London
Just checked the specs 20 inch is 11.4 kgs or just over 25 pounds which is about what our son weighs in at the moment so she should have a lot of practice lifting that sort of weight. ;)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
bollard said:
just easy enough to move upstairs once a day.

Why buy a desktop then? I cant see myself carrying my computer (23 KGs eMac ;)) around my flat even once a day. I certanly dont want to plug everything in it every time and I also have a lot of stuff conected to my computer on my room-spanning desk, including ISDN internet

bollard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
London
eXan said:
Why buy a desktop then? I cant see myself carrying my computer (23 KGs eMac ;)) around my flat even once a day. I certanly dont want to plug everything in it every time and I also have a lot of stuff conected to my computer on my room-spanning desk, including ISDN internet

Was planning to get aiport express and wireless keyboard and mouse to make it a lot easier

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
the graphite

yes there is a market for them
i just bought one off e-bay for a younger sibling-

i think it sold for about $400 us

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
Your girlfriend should make the decision.

Carrying a computer up and down is very different from an 18 month old boy, its to do with weight distribution. Don't forget he will need less sleep as he gets older and will get very interested in this object which gets more attention than himself. He could also get in the way, and that could be annoying as well as dangerous.

Is it possible to get an iBook for your girlfriend and save up for the iMac for yourself?

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
bollard said:
Was planning to get aiport express and wireless keyboard and mouse to make it a lot easier

True that would make it easier, but she's going to have to make a couple of trips to carry all of it. Whereas an iBook, just close the lid and carry it all away.

In my mind it would depend on what sort of work she's doing too. Not everyone (me included) gets on that well working for a long period on a laptop.

If the carrying thing is really going to be at least once a day, then I'd forget about the 20" iMac. I think it'd just be that extra bit of hassle. (it's a bulky thing to move, never mind the weight).

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Personally, if there seriously is a need for a modicum of portability on a regular basis, I would completely forget going for an iMac, particularly the 20" version. The weight and sheer bulk will quickly kill that idea.

Get a portable, definitely.

If you can stretch to it, a PowerBook 15" with Superdrive would provide the best compromise in screen real estate and performance, but otherwise I'm sure a top of the range iBook would be fine.

Vanilla

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
Seems strange to get a desktop that you need to carry up and down stairs every day.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
tzibo said:
True that would make it easier, but she's going to have to make a couple of trips to carry all of it. Whereas an iBook, just close the lid and carry it all away....

You've not touched on cost at all. If that's cause you're loaded why not get a couple of iMacs :D. One step down from that if you get wireless keyboards and mice matbe look at getting two of those, at least when your child throws up on the keyboard you can replace the keyboard easier than a nice hot PowerBook with vomit inside!

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
mpw said:
You've not touched on cost at all. If that's cause you're loaded why not get a couple of iMacs :D. One step down from that if you get wireless keyboards and mice matbe look at getting two of those, at least when your child throws up on the keyboard you can replace the keyboard easier than a nice hot PowerBook with vomit inside!

Yeah - that's a good point. Something else to consider too could be a seperate display for downstairs? Cost wise between the 20" iMac and an iBook with an additional screen is probably the same.

bollard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
London
Thanks for all the replies everybody very helpful. Money is an issue as I don't think we do enough computing to warrant a Powerbook. Our flat has the bedrooms downstairs and a big open plan living space kitchen upstairs. Currently we have the iMac set up downstairs which I work on fine (in the evening), but my girlfriend prefers to do her work upstairs where our son prefers to play (much more space) so she can keep an eye on him a lot easier. I just felt an iMac would be the best computer to get and with Airport express we could actually achieve a tiny degree of portability. Maybe an iMac now and an iBook in the future when funds allow.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
bollard said:
Thanks for all the replies everybody very helpful. Money is an issue as I don't think we do enough computing to warrant a Powerbook. Our flat has the bedrooms downstairs and a big open plan living space kitchen upstairs. Currently we have the iMac set up downstairs which I work on fine (in the evening), but my girlfriend prefers to do her work upstairs where our son prefers to play (much more space) so she can keep an eye on him a lot easier. I just felt an iMac would be the best computer to get and with Airport express we could actually achieve a tiny degree of portability. Maybe an iMac now and an iBook in the future when funds allow.
If you've got an iMac why not get an iBook for your g/f?

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
My guess is that the iMac could be stuck upstairs, as I can´t see anyone carry an iMac up and down the stairs everyday, but I´ve never tried.
Unless you need alot of power, an iBook is good enough for most people.
Consider the 14" instead of the 12" as the screen feels a little small if you spend long hours infront of it. (I have a 12").

We had it for a year now, and the only times it feels underpowered (as you would guess) is when I edit on Final Cut Pro and have to render etc.
I only edit small things like my showreel, so it´s not that big a problem.

The plan was to get an iMac a little after we bought the ibook, to spread out the cost (and me really wanting one), but we haven´t had the need for it yet.

So go for an ibook unless you really need the power.
We use it all over the flat, sofa, kitchen, bed etc and that´s what makes it great.

Good luck with your decision :)

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
I recently purchased a 20 incher and I love it. I admit it that at first you will take it out of the box and tell your self "oh sh*t thats big" but you will get used to it. In regards to it's weight, I don't have a problem picking it up or not, I mean it's not a Mac Mini or anything but it's light enough to move around. I personally think that the screen on the 20 inch is nicer than the screen on the 17 inch...

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
We went with the iMac G5 20". We wanted the larger screen because this doubles as our DVD player for watching movies. We are quite pleased with the machine. No problems. Great joy.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
The iMac's are a little awkward to carry. I tend to pick mine up by both the screen on the bottom and also holding the stand. The stand is surprising heavy, so if you were to just hold the iMac, you would feel a large torque trying to rotate it out of your hand. It sounds like you and your g/f would benefit from getting an iBook instead.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I wouldn't want to carry around my cinema display. These things are so awkward that it makes them feel heavier than they are. You don't want to see an iMac at the bottom of the stairs, or hurt yourself trying to do it.

In my opinion -

Get an iMac, if you can keep it in one location.

Get an iBook, if you're going to use it up and downstairs.

I only use my Powerbook off my main desk 2-3 times per week, and I consider that a chore having to unplug the cables. ha-ha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.