17" ordered for college grad - change to 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sixxmum, Apr 23, 2012.

1. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

I ordered a 17" MBP yesterday for my son who is graduating college. He's heading to LA to look for work shortly and this will be his only computer.

Now that I'm looking for bags, I'm wondering if I should have gone with a 15". Someone want to convince me one way or another?

Thanks!

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

It would help if you could provide some info on how your son will be using the MBP. Such as:

- heavy computing
    - portability
    - external monitor usage
    - video editing
    - music production
    - casual surfing
    - required for job

This type info would help other users in making a recommendation for you. There's also a rumor that the 17" is soon to be discontinued. Perhaps your son would prefer a 13" with a 27' display. Lots of possibilities.

4. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Some gaming, writing (he's a scriptwriter, he hopes), watching movies/TV, surfing the net, light video editing. He'll be spending the first while on someone's couch, so no room for an external monitor and this will be his only computer system. He'll have a car with him, but will likely do some public transportation at times.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Stick with the 17" IMO, the extra real estate makes a big difference. If it's removed in the re-fresh well...Put ti this way, I will be keeping mine, weight HDD and optical drive anyway..:) It's a powerful computer, and If Apple drop it, a 15", even with an SSD ad the optical removed just isn't the same machine.

6. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

If the 17" is discontinued, and he has Applecare and needs a replacement at year 2, is he just screwed? (sorry, this is a goofy question, but I'm only 2 years into owning Macs, so I'm still kind of a newbie)

7. ano0oj macrumors 6502

I would say 15"...17" becomes over bearing if you have no real use for it

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

15" with anti-glare hi-res option. Even the 15" is verging on too big for me, but at least the high-res maximizes the number of pixels. THe 17" offers no greater performance.

9. jaqueh macrumors member

there is almost no difference in performance for the two laptops besides unnecessary bulk

10. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I love my 17".

It does not run as hot as a 15" does.

I do not regret my purchase in any way. I am using the machine for home use and for while I'm in college for a CS degree.

Admittedly the machine is overkill for my needs right now. But I am very happy with the size and the screen.

11. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Does he really want to carry around a 17" laptop? Would you?

12. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

I'm a 17" MBP fan through and through, but to be honest, he might be better off with the 15" given his circumstances. The 17" offers a more pleasant user experience and I'll fight to the death any man who says otherwise, but the 15" is a BIT more nimble and for the vagabond lifestyle he anticipates, may work out better. It's a good writer's computer.

Either way, you can't really go wrong with either, and you're a wonderful parent for supporting your child in this endeavor. I don't expect my parents will be quite as gung-ho when I move to LA for similar reasons in 18 months. :D

13. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Well, no, I guess I wouldn't want to carry a 17" laptop. But, then again, there are a lot of things that my 22 year old son does that I wouldn't want to do. :D

14. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Haha, good point. Well anyways I'm sure the 17" will be fine for his needs as far as his future profession goes.

15. AppChat macrumors regular

i go to college

i find the 15inch big enough. kinda wish i got the 13 or macbook air.

walking around the college campus, having the lightest stuff possible makes a difference

16. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Seems like the general leaning is toward the 15". I have no idea why I didn't come here and ask about this first, or why I thought a 17" was necessary when I use an 11" MBA. Usually, I research things ad nauseum, but I jump too fast on this one. But, hindsight is... nearer 20/20.

Of course, if I'm heading into 15" territory, now I have to think about announcements (and wait on the delivery tomorrow so that I can return it). Oy.

17. hi-there macrumors member

Yes, join the line and hold breath with us for MBPro announcement... better then waiting alone! :)

18. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Scriptwriting!? Definitely get the 17". The ability to have two pages side by side at a good size is invaluable for scripting, and it's AMAZING for video editing...trust me. The claims that it's "so much heavier" are overblown. It's an extra pound for frack's sake. The pros far outweigh the cons if he's going into film/video production. But that's just me...speaking from experience...who works in the industry.

Besides, if they do discontinue the 17", he'll have a collector's item!

19. sixxmum thread starter macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

Hmmm... convincing argument, MovieCutter. Have you found it difficult to get bags/cases for the 17" that aren't ridiculously huge or awkward?

20. that1guyy macrumors 6502

I know I won't be buying a 17inch laptop again. I own an HP 17 inch and although it probably has slightly different dimensions and weight than the MBP 17" it was a pain to find a bag that fit it. And it may be one pound but it is seriously a hassle to carry one that big, not to mention it doesn't fit in those tiny lecture hall desks.

I will be buying a 15 inch pro soon. That in my opinion is a perfect combination of power and portability.

21. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I went to Best Buy and picked one of six or eight different bags for the 17". I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0W9KZSNBVSVGDRCHEQPB and use it as a laptop bag and backpack.

I will agree that having two documents open side by side is wonderful. Word Processing, Graphic Design, Software Development...there are many advantages to the larger screen.

22. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I recently got a 17" and my wife quickly said she wanted to switch from her 13" to a 17" as well. I use mine for Lightroom/photography work. I seldom take it out of the house, it's just convenient for doing the things I want to do from the couch. My wife takes hers with her all the time. She is an attorney and wanted to be able to open 2 documents side by side. She now says it is big, but she loves having the big screen. I just told her there are rumors that it may be cancelled and she said she likes hers.

My sister-in-law is trying to get into screen writing as well. She lives and works in NYC and is on public transit most of the time. She has a 13" MBP and wants to get a 13" MBA I think. So it can go either way. We live Michigan and take cars everywhere, so portability isn't high on our list of criteria. To me, that is the biggest determining factor. If portability isn't that important, by all means get the 17".

23. stevey69 macrumors regular

um, a 17" over a 15" is a no brainer.

pros
    - 1200p resolution vs 900p (15") which is not even 1080p which is trash.
    - express 34 slot means he can do whatever he wants. ssd, photo reader what not
    - better cooling
    - bigger batter which means he can go upto 14 hours of battery life with wifi off and idle aka reading books or what not.
    - its not THAT much bigger than a 17. i had a 15" ... thought it was too big... traded it for a 13" macbook air.... hated the ****** resolution ... bought the mbp 17" , been in love ever since. its a mobile desktop. its big but its so worth it .
    - speakers are MUCH louder than 15" mbp.
    - yeah you can stick a Hi-res screen in a 15" mbp... but honestly, be prepared to have your eyes be shot.
    - 3 usb ports vs 2 usb plays a key role when multi-tasking
    - did i mention how beautiful the screen is?

24. roofz macrumors regular

Everyone saying that the 17" over the 15" is a no brainer.... Stop

Most of you are citing the extra room to hold two documents side by side, or the superior resolution... but is that really worth spending $700 more than the 15"?

25. angrydog macrumors member

angrydog

To me; Yes. I'd rather pay $700 than paying $850 for a refurbished cinema display. Sure it's only $150 more, but I don't want to drag my cinema display to Starbucks while writing research papers. Like stated, people have different uses and for some a 15" inch may do justice; but for others, it won't.

P.S. I don't go to Starbucks.