17" owners, I got some questions and concerns. Kindly, enter.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sangdushi, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Sangdushi macrumors regular

I currently have an iPad and a 13" air. I'm thinking my next laptop will be the seventeen and I can give the th thirteen to my sister. iPad can be my casual on the couch surfer, kitchen for cooking and recipes, read on the train and on the go blah blah blah regular iPad staff. But get a 17 for everything else. Work, carry It everyday, travel, gaming, entertainment hub. Is it too large for something like that. Would I look silly pulling something like that out in a coffee shop :p?
    Does it fit in most briefcases?

2. Paronella macrumors newbie

It is too large. I sold my 17" and bought an MBA 13" and I don't regret it. It has enough processing power for my needs.

3. Sangdushi thread starter macrumors regular

:(

Not the answer I was hoping for
    :mad:

Edit, just kidding. It's not your fault. I think I just really want to love the seventeen because it's so different from the iPad and I want two very different products. Does is it help that I'm a big dude?:D

4. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

If having a 17 inch laptop doesn't bother you (weight wise) then go for it. No reason to care what people think at the coffee shops anyways, if anything they'll probably just assume you need to screen for something work related (drafting/design). Not a big deal.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have a 17" MBP asa well as a 13" MBA. Now don't get me wrong, I really love my Pro, but when people tell you they are heavy, believe them...It's a lot of computer to carry around. The screen is a joy to use as is the whole machine, but when I can get away with it now, I leave my Pro at home and take the Air.

As far as bags go, no...it won't go into a briefcase...:) I have a Targus XL city messenger bag, that actually takes both my MBP and MBA at the same time, it's one of the largest laptop bags you can get though, and by the time you put in the Magsafes, mice if required etc...It's a lot to cart around.

6. dacoolest macrumors regular

I have a 17' MBP and its now my main computer as well. I travel by the car most of the time. So the weight is not a problem to me. The only distance I have to carry it is from the car park to the college building and vice versa. I LOVE larger screens.

People at the coffee shop aren't the ones who's gonna pay for your new mac. So you have the full authority to make a totally independent decision ;)

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yes, this helps!

It's nice to have a big machine with a big screen. I downgraded to a 15'' high-res, and sometimes I miss those extra pixels.

The 17'' is somewhat restricted when it comes to choosing a bag!

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

2c.... i'm a 15" owner and considered the 17 but...

If you're gaming you may find the 15" pro hires to be faster - the GPU will need to push less pixels around.

Be aware that they get hot while gaming and make a lot of noise.

9. Sangdushi thread starter macrumors regular

My briefcase is 12.5" high, 16" wide, and about 6" thick. I haven't tried it at an apple store but I though it might fit. Damn...

----------

By the way the weight will never ever eve EVER be an issue. I'm wondering if the size of it is too inconvenient or not, ie fitting places.

10. Arnuiem macrumors newbie

I upgraded last oktober from a 15" to a 17" since the 15" low resolution screen was killing my eyes. In my opinion the 3 kilograms is not that heavy to carry around. And when putting workload on a 17" it will dissipate heat much better then a smaller model (I study CS and build and run allot of heavy programs at the same time)

In short if you think you need the extra screen go for it and don't let people tell you a laptop is to big to fit your needs.

11. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I use a 17 at home for photo editing and as my main personal machine. My wife just upgraded from her 13 to a 17 for work. She does a lot of documents and wanted to be able to have 2 things side by side on the screen. She just got it this week and hasn't taken it out of the house yet, so I can't say yet how she feels about the added size/weight in transit. Like someone else said though, we are in a "car" lifestyle though, so we just carry things from the car to a building and not walking many city blocks or something.

What kind of work are you doing on it? Do you really need the added screen size? Or do you just want a larger screen? It sounds like you just want something different from your iPad. If you don't do anything that needs that large of a screen, I'd consider the 15 HiRes like others have said.

My 17 does fit in my old Dell backpack though. :)

12. jevel macrumors regular

I've had the Mac Pro 2008 and a 2009 MBA at work until I killed the MBA by falling on top of it, and the Mac Pro simply decided it was tired and one of the memory risers failed.

Du to the fact that I work in two places all the time, I decided I wanted a portable solution with a high resolution screen. We also recieved iPads here in january, so I decided to simply use the iPad for travelling need (in airports, on a plane, meetings etc.) and the opt for a 17" MacBook Pro.

I went with the standard model, but upgraded the hard drive to an SSD. Here's my findings:

The added 500 grams (between a 15" and a 17") does not make a difference unless you keep carrying it about a lot. (Probably also depends on your physique, but given you're average size / build...)

It is _huge_ when you're used to the original MBA or the MBP 13". It is unwieldy and bulky due to the added size and weight. But if you compare to a 15,6" ASUS G53SV which I have at home, it is actually smaller.

When it comes to desktop real estate, it is leagues better than the high res 15". On the 17" you can actually have two browser windows side by side and still have a "full" webpage on each browser. Also you can have two pages of a document side by side. I love it and use it all the time.

As for gaming, I really do not like using MacBook Pros for this. THey become extremely noisy due to the limited venting on them. If I compare my ASUS to the MBP, the ASUS is barely audible when running the same game.

Your mileage may vary, but a 17" MBP is a very potent computer, and if you can live with the added weight, I see no other reason to not buy one if you can justify the need.

-KJ

13. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I own a 17" and absolutely love it. I wouldn't consider weight to be an issue, as it is still lighter than most 15" laptops. As far as the screen resolution, it's very nice to have 1200p resolution as well as a decent GPU. If you do a lot of gaming, you can over clock these machines under windows to increase performance. I would assume the 17" could dissipate heat more efficiently due to the nature of the size of laptop.

As for battery life, I'm sitting here browsing the internet with the screen brightness about 25% and I lose about 9-10% of battery life per hour. I use this program called Boom, used to increase max volume as well as provide a system wide equalizer, and I have never heard laptop speakers that can provide so much volume and clarity. I have compared my 17" to most laptops side by side that have these so called "Beats" (don't even get me started on that brand) speakers, and these absolutely sound much more accurate in reproducing audio.

I am a fan of the 17", my roommates both have a 13" and 15" and the screens look pixelated and poor, compared to my 1200p Anti-glare.

You can always buy one and try it out, if you don't like it there is a 14 day window where you can return it.

14. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

Everything has its compromises. The 17" is -of course- considerably larger and heavier than the 13" air. But in my opinion, it offers a MUCH more enjoyable user experience, especially with the anti-glare screen. It just feels premium and is so blazing fast and powerful. I still think the 17" MBP might be the best all-around computer available. I used the last two model years as my primary machine for a long time and enjoyed it greatly. I've also had pretty much every other model/screen size mac laptop in the last couple of years. The 17" is still my favorite.

Considering you have an iPad, and want to create some more distinction between their roles, I think the 17 would be a great choice.

15. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Consider the 15" MBP. The 17" is not a lightweight machine if you plan on carrying it around with you. I suggest you go to a retailer and compare the weight of various machines.

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This should work! See Apple Store screenshot below

One thing to also consider, concerning the size difference, is that the 15'' is actually 15.4'', and has a much thicker bezel than the 17'' model. In some sense, the 17'' model wastes less space, it's all screen!

Attached Files:

• 17.png
      17.png
      File size:
      98.9 KB
      Views:
  17. suburbia macrumors 6502

The 17" is hardly backbreaking and a chore to carry with you. Are the majority of individuals here very tiny? I'm nowhere near "huge" at 5'10" and 160 pounds, and I carry my 17" everywhere-- on the train, the subway, walking... It's a noticeable weight-- but hardly heavy, or cumbersome, and you get use to the weight very quickly. And as for bags, I've also noticed Targus are very popular with the majority here, but there are so many other options. All my bags are extremely sturdy and fit my 17" just fine with more than enough room for other things. They're not light as air bags, but neither is a 17" MBP. If you can afford a more expensive bag that's an investment piece, then the options are quite plentiful.

As for the 17" itself, the screen real estate is the main attraction and even the 15" won't come close. It's the ideal companion to the iPad in terms of extreme portable machines-- one is convenient and extremely portable light machine, while the other is a powerhouse with the best display and also portable. I think you'll be very pleased. Go for it.

18. jevel macrumors regular

I use this for my MBP 17". Perfect for everyday transporting and even weekend trips. ;)

-KJ

19. chilly7 macrumors member

Year don't listen to 13 inchers, they probably are CIA or KGB agents so they need a small screen so nobody could see what they are doing on their computers. and also they could carry it easely or hide it quickly

But Year, i would get 17 inch too,because i don't have to hide anything and because the sreen iself on 17 inch is a reall joy :)

20. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I'm having similar questions as the OP. Not to hijack this thread- but is the $1700 deal on MacMall a better deal than buying a new 2012 model when it gets released? It's a saving of like $700-$800.

21. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

This is absolutely true. I've had pretty much all flavours of Apple portables and desktops - excluding the Mac Pro - over the last three years, and I can honestly say that I've never been as satisfied with any machine as I am with the 17" Pro. My screen is also the anti-glare variety, and I have to say that it's the best decision I've ever made so far as computers go.

The screen ultimately wins it for me, the colours are far better than on the Air and lower-end Pros and the anti-glare means you're not at the mercy of environmental lighting. It really is something else.

22. mac jones, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

If you get the 17", i'd advise you to get the HR anti-glare version for a couple reasons.

1) looks better
    2) most importantly, it weighs a lot less. Almost .7 lbs.

I've had both; the glass and the anti-glare. I sold the glass version, than a year later bought the anti-glare and i would never sell this.

It's a lot of glass they put on there.

note: I had worried that the anti-glare would not be as rigid as the glass version, as the glass adds some structure and protection. Not true. there's no flex or anything like that.

Also, the new 15" will most certainly not have glass. As a matter of fact, they may phase this out from the looks of it. Good riddance. The glass originally was an interesting idea. Some said it makes the screens pop. This is true to some degree, but really, it's the LCD that matters :D

and it just adds so much bulk.

23. Erasmus, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Had one for a year. Had a 15" MBP beforehand. Will never go back.

It's not really noticeably bigger than the 15", and is only a smidgeon heavier. However the screen (especially the antiglare) is phenomenal.

If you can afford it, get it.

EDIT: I commute with it every workday on the train. It is no more awkward to carry or use on a train than a 15".

24. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I carry my 17in most of the time.
    Sometimes, my MBA but I like my MBP the best.

Weight doesnt bother me at all.
    The screen size and the 1920x1200 res is astonishing.
    Way faster than MBA, more storage, and more work space.

If you dont mind the extra weight, you've got a beast in your hand.

25. stevey69 macrumors regular

i have owned a mbp 17" for about a month now. bought it from macmall for 1900$. after using it for a month, i must say... the screen res is something you have to get used to. its HUGE. compared to a 13" mbp/mba, but its well worth it if you want to keep your 20/20 vision. i can't believe how crisp my screen looks when i zoom in. browsing on the web + blastin music is amazin considering the speakers on the 17" are so much more louder than the 15" mbp. i used to own a 15" mbp for 4 yrs and i can't tell you how big of a diff it makes in everyday work life. the only setup that would compete with this would be a 13" mba hooked up to 27" ATD at ALL the given times lol. and oh, for the ppl who have issues finding a bag for mbp 17" , http://goincase.com/products/detail/nylon-tech-brief-cl55090/2 . my laptop has fallen off my car seat multiple times with this bag and wow, my laptop is still dent/scratchproof. you will love the 17" if you want a portable SUPERSIZED 1200p screen which will blow your mind in every single way movies/music/books/ multitasking. basically, go buy it if you haven't bought it yet. I've tried 13 mba, 13 mbp, 15 mbp and now I'm finally at peace with a 17" mbp. sickkknesss !