Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
It's true. The Palo Alto Apple store has a DEMO UNIT of the 17" Powerbook on the floor as of tonight (Saturday). It's a working model. You can play with it, close it, pick it up, turn it over, etc. I was there at 9:50 tonight (10 minutes til closing) so I didn't really get a chance to do any serious testing... but for those of you who are so inclined, it's ready and waiting for you.

The salesguy said that they had just brought it out a couple of hours ago, and that they were the ONLY Apple store to have one. I didn't ask, but am assuming it's a demo unit from Macworld. The salesguy said that they wouldn't be available to purchase "for quite some time."

Start driving... :D

Edit: I've read other posts that indicate the Mall of America store has a working demo too.

Edit Edit: So it appears that the Mall of America Demo is a "hands off" display unit after all.

f-matic

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
brooklyn
mall of america

funny, i just got back from the mall of america, not particularly to look at apple products, more because i needed exercise and it's too damn cold to walk outside...

however, i did notice the apple store got a display model which looked functional, which was on a rotating display in the front window - but not available for customers to play with... it was kinda funny to see all the people craning around to look at it though. and almost everybody seemed to have the same opinion: too damn big...

Wren

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2002
Los Angeles
I was at the Apple store today at the Grove here in Los Angeles and I did not see the 17PB on display or MODEL anywhere!! They are the West Coast Flagship store.... i just don't get it. Anyway, I will get my 17 PB on or before March 26. I ordered my PB 5 days after the MWSF last January. Nothing like slooooooow anticipation.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Re: mall of america

So I guess I misread some of the other posts. It appears the Mall of America 17" demo is a "hands off" display after all. Sorry for the confusion.

nanosound

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2002
I was at the Palo Alto Apple Store last week and they had one in the window. Flowbee, you're talking about an additional one? I will go check it out today. I hear all sorts of different rumors about ship dates. What did you hear?

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Originally posted by nanosound
I was at the Palo Alto Apple Store last week and they had one in the window. Flowbee, you're talking about an additional one? I will go check it out today. I hear all sorts of different rumors about ship dates. What did you hear?

Yes, it's an additional one that was just put out last night (Saturday). It's inside the store on a counter next to a 20" display and a 12" PB. Customers can use it. The salespeople there wouldn't give a ship date, but said it would be "quite a while" still.

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Ripping out hair

OK, can anyone walk over to the nearest digital camera at the Apple Store, take a few snapshots and do us all the courtesy of posting some pics?!

All this can be accomplished with the hardware available there, guys! Yikes!

I hate being an APB17 junkie. :(

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Well...

Originally posted by katepate45
northridge store has a display model/ You can play with to your jearts delite!

Northridge is in California. I'm on the East Coast, dear. :rolleyes:

I know if I saw an APB17 on display at Southpoint, I'd bring along my Nikon, snap a couple hundred pics and post them on MacRumors for other people to see. And considering the fact that all the tools necessary are right there in the store, it's really not asking all that much.

Oh well.

katepate45

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2003
-It isnt as large as I had imagined it to be, and is quite thin as advertised.
-the aluminum finish is beautiful. Looks great
-the screen is stunning. When you see it in person it is just awe inspiring

katepate45

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2003
it did not seem as bright as the imac screen. However it did seem plenty bright and did I mention crisp

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
nice.. similar to the 15"? or brighter sorry to be picky i have bad eyesight and screen brightness makes a lot of difference to me

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: Well...

Originally posted by Skandranon
Northridge is in California. I'm on the East Coast, dear. :rolleyes:

I know if I saw an APB17 on display at Southpoint, I'd bring along my Nikon, snap a couple hundred pics and post them on MacRumors for other people to see.

Why? You've never even seen a picture of the 17" pBook?

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by JSRockit
Why? You've never even seen a picture of the 17" pBook?

i think the point is that in the apple store you have a lot of time to "play" with the product, and get pictures of the thing from a lot of different angles.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by SoonToGetAMac
i think the point is that in the apple store you have a lot of time to "play" with the product, and get pictures of the thing from a lot of different angles.

What I mean is that their are tons of pictures of the 17" pBook...that does nothing for me...the only real way to check it out is in person...right?

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: Re: Re: Well...

Originally posted by Skandranon
(shakes head) Arrgh. If you have to ask, man, you'll never understand. Forget it.

:rolleyes:

Man...I am so sorry to have pissed you off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.