17" PB... Should I?

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
631
0
Heya,

I want to buy the new 17"PB but don't know if I should. My 12" PB, that I am so in love with, is only 6 months old. I bought it the day Tiger was released.

If I do buy it, what should I do with this 12" PB?

Specs: 1.5 GHz 12" PB G4. It is with the CD burner and not the DVD burner.

Thanks for your thoughts.
 

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
2,580
0
On a jet plane
If you really want the 17", sell your 12" to help finance it. You'll take a bit of a loss, it's up to you whether it's worth it or not.
 

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
1,693
11
EricBrian said:
Heya,

I want to buy the new 17"PB but don't know if I should. My 12" PB, that I am so in love with, is only 6 months old. I bought it the day Tiger was released.

If I do buy it, what should I do with this 12" PB?

Specs: 1.5 GHz 12" PB G4. It is with the CD burner and not the DVD burner.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Um, what is it about the 17" PB that your 12" can't do? ie, what do you want to use it for?
 

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
631
0
DL DVD burner (I very much hate schlepping my DL burner around) and the extra screen space.
 

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
1,144
0
New York
why not buy an iMac instead and keep your powerbook?

the iMac is a fair amount more powerfull then a new pb, and if you've already got a pb for a portable, why not?
 

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
631
0
plinkoman said:
why not buy an iMac instead and keep your powerbook?

the iMac is a fair amount more powerfull then a new pb, and if you've already got a pb for a portable, why not?
I've tried that... keeping them sync'd doesn't work for me.
 

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
1,561
35
If you want the 17"....I say get it. They are cheap and have a ton of nice features. When they PBs go to Intel, you can bet on a semi-significant price increase.

Hickman
 

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
880
0
Texas
Brian Hickman said:
If you want the 17"....I say get it. They are cheap and have a ton of nice features. When they PBs go to Intel, you can bet on a semi-significant price increase.

Hickman

Arn't The MacTel's supposed to be Cheaper?
 

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
631
0
Ok, I ordered it. I just hope that I can sell my 12" PB pretty fast. :)
 

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
631
0
twoodcc said:
dang that was quick. hope your happy with it. i kinda in the same boat you are, except for the 15". i might buy one soon also.

congrats

hehehehehe... I've been thing about it since the newest models came out. But like I said, I need to sell my 12" PB now! I think CraigsList.com will help. :)
 

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
433
0
Boston, MA
EricBrian said:
Ok, I ordered it. I just hope that I can sell my 12" PB pretty fast. :)
I say keep the 12". You will really appreciate when you are travelling. With all the cramped space on planes, trains and buses you are 300% more likely to nick, scratch dent your 2.2k laptop and also it will no fit any where period. You will probably get a 1k for your powerbook. I say go easy on other expenses for a couple of months and keep it. And mirror your most important work. leave the videos etc on 17".
 

Sic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
321
0
Southampton UK
budugu said:
With all the cramped space on planes, trains and buses you are 300% more likely to nick, scratch dent your 2.2k laptop and also it will no fit any where period.
is that an exact figure?! :p

i should be getting my new 15" PB in the next coupla weeks...cant wait :D
 

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
433
0
Boston, MA
Sic said:
is that an exact figure?! :p

i should be getting my new 15" PB in the next coupla weeks...cant wait :D
if you assume that there is an exponentially increasing probability density function once you move out the limit of the 12" pb that fits the tray and then integrate over the area. Yes you will get the 300% answer. if are interested in your 15" powerbook the answer is more likely at 60-100% ;)
 

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
2,294
30
London, UK
I second the motion to keep both. I have both a 17" and a 12" and I wouldn't want to give up either one. The 17" travels with me back and forth to the office and the12" when I want to lie on the couch or the bed to surf the internet or when I am traveling. If your budget will allow it I say keep both.
 

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
631
0
Cool. It will ship on Nov 3rd according to the Apple Store Online. And, I added another 512 MB for a total of 1GB RAM.
 

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
631
0
Oh, btw, how do I get all of my programs and data off of this one onto my new one?

Thanks.
 

plasticparadox

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2003
484
1
EricBrian said:
Oh, btw, how do I get all of my programs and data off of this one onto my new one?

Thanks.
Check out this Apple Support article. It may or may not be helpful to you, depending on how you like to transfer your files/programs.

I personally like to start fresh with each new OS X install/new computer, so I use FireWire target disk mode. You'll need a FireWire cable - the one that comes with the iSight will work fine or you can pick one up at the shop. In the PC world, FireWire often goes by the memorable 'IEEE 1394', so look for that if you can't find FireWire. This is the fastest way to transfer data. Other methods - external hard disks (eg. iPod), DVD, network file transfer (don't even consider this one unless you have Airport Extreme).

You can simply drag and drop files and most programs. Some popular exceptions are Microsoft Office, Adobe, and Macromedia. You'll have to install these ones again from the original media.

Now, if you are fine with doing a quick migration, check this link out. OS X Tiger includes a Migration Assistant that walks you through migrating your files. This is probably the easiest way.

Good luck.
 

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
772
0
Did you get the 7200 100GB or the 5400 120GB? If it were me I would do the 7200.
 

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
15,630
3
キャンプスワ&#
bodeh6 said:
Did you get the 7200 100GB or the 5400 120GB? If it were me I would do the 7200.
Ah the eternal question: Larger or Faster?

While I understand your faster desire, I would go for the larger space so that I can have more stuff loaded on my HD.

Sushi
 

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
631
0
bodeh6 said:
Did you get the 7200 100GB or the 5400 120GB? If it were me I would do the 7200.
I agree with Sushi and I went with the larger HD. I figure 5400 rpm is fast enough for anything I do.