17" Powerbook Downgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tottenham4Life, May 2, 2010.

1. Tottenham4Life macrumors member

I had my year old MBP stolen out of my car. Since the Los Angeles Police Department or my insurance company seem to now care I have to replace that computer on a tight budget. My fiancee's brother had a 17" MBP(M9689LL/A) that he wants to sell me for $400 to $500. I know I can knock the ram up to 2GB fairly cjeaply and easily and I see new 320GB hard drives for cheap as well but my questions are.....

How easy is it to replace the hard drive?

From what I can tell it will not run Snow Leopard. Is there a way I can work around that with this or can I use 10.5?

Thanks in Advance....

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The hard drive is difficult to replace, but not impossible.

You're right, it will not run Snow Leopard. SL requires an Intel processor.

3. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

Before anyone answers you we are going to need to know if it is a MacBook Pro your fiance's brother has for you, or a PowerBook. The thread name is PowerBook and if it is so then it makes sens that you say it could only run Leopard because SL won't run on PPC architecture. However if it is a MacBook Pro I assume it has an Intel chip, and therefore I think will run SL.

If you go to ifixit you should be able to find a video on replacing a HDD. But like I said you will need to know if you have a MBP or PB.

4. Tottenham4Life thread starter macrumors member

Sorry

It is a Powerbook that I might buy.

5. Tottenham4Life thread starter macrumors member

So I did all my homework and while replacing the hard drive seems well hard I think I want to do that, plus upgrade the RAM, and also update the OS to 10.5 but where do I find full versions of Leopard instead of Snow leopard

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

ebay

7. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

What is the max amount of RAM the 17" PB can use? My 12" was 1.25GB