Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CC74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
I've got the dreaded pixel lines appearing down my screen. I've taken my Powerbook into a service centre, who have now had it for 3 weeks. I feel like I am being given the run around by them, and by Apple who have STILL not given the service centre an estimated time of arrival for the LCD, which they say is out of stock.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm with Applecare and in Australia.

I'm really pissed off, because I don't understand why they can't give an ETA for the required part. Are they playing games with me?

I'd just like to know if anyone has had this problem and how long it took to rectify.

russc

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2006
im getting the same problem, it first started off with one blue line down the screen, then almost every day since a new one has popped up, 2 more blue lines and a yellow on today,, now im seeing a megenta one flashing on the right side.
unfortunatly i dont have any applecare left.
i have the same problem though, they said every lcd is out of stock.
was there an issue with the 17" screens at all?
i have a 17" powerbook 1.67.

CC74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
OK, i hassled the Service Centre and also Apple Customer Service EVERY DAY last week. I was always polite and never lost my cool.

Each time I called, both parties said they were waiting for an ETA on the lcd. The service centre I went too seemed hopeless, and in fact, it was them who suggested I speak to Apple direct. As far as I was concerned, they are there to do a job (I have 3 year Apple "care") but it seemed like they didn't really care.

So after speaking to them everyday, and reminding them that the service centre had my laptop for 3 weeks and still not ETA given, Apple eventually said they would look into replacing my machine. Whenever I queried why it was taking so long for the lcd part to arrive (here in Australia) they could never answer the question directly, although one customer service person let it slip that lots of people were waiting. So it seems that this pixel issue is something that many Powerbook 17" owners are experiencing, which in my opinion, demands a total recall of all products.

So at the start of this week, after it was ME who called Apple and chased it up, Apple said they would replace my machine with a total upgrade (a 17" Macbook Pro). It's due to arrive next week.

On another sour note, when I asked the service centre about a data transfer from my useless Powerbook to my new computer that's due next week, they told me they would charge for the data transfer!!!!! Even thought I have the 3 year Apple "care"!!!!!!!! When I brought this up with Apple Customer service, they offered to take care of that charge.

I'm really not sure what you should do, since your warranty has expired :(

Have you spoken to Apple Customer service and offered to pay for a new lcd? There's definitely something fishy going on if suddenly, every lcd for the 17" Powerbook is coming up with vertical pixel coloured lines and then Apple says they are out of stock :(

Unfortunately, every forum I have come across with this, the owners have experienced this problem after a year of ownership (with many people not having the extended warranty).

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
OK, i hassled the Service Centre and also Apple Customer Service EVERY DAY last week. I was always polite and never lost my cool.

Each time I called, both parties said they were waiting for an ETA on the lcd. The service centre I went too seemed hopeless, and in fact, it was them who suggested I speak to Apple direct. As far as I was concerned, they are there to do a job (I have 3 year Apple "care") but it seemed like they didn't really care.

So after speaking to them everyday, and reminding them that the service centre had my laptop for 3 weeks and still not ETA given, Apple eventually said they would look into replacing my machine. Whenever I queried why it was taking so long for the lcd part to arrive (here in Australia) they could never answer the question directly, although one customer service person let it slip that lots of people were waiting. So it seems that this pixel issue is something that many Powerbook 17" owners are experiencing, which in my opinion, demands a total recall of all products.

So at the start of this week, after it was ME who called Apple and chased it up, Apple said they would replace my machine with a total upgrade (a 17" Macbook Pro). It's due to arrive next week.

On another sour note, when I asked the service centre about a data transfer from my useless Powerbook to my new computer that's due next week, they told me they would charge for the data transfer!!!!! Even thought I have the 3 year Apple "care"!!!!!!!! When I brought this up with Apple Customer service, they offered to take care of that charge.

I'm really not sure what you should do, since your warranty has expired :(

Have you spoken to Apple Customer service and offered to pay for a new lcd? There's definitely something fishy going on if suddenly, every lcd for the 17" Powerbook is coming up with vertical pixel coloured lines and then Apple says they are out of stock :(

Unfortunately, every forum I have come across with this, the owners have experienced this problem after a year of ownership (with many people not having the extended warranty).

It does suck that your laptop was gone for so long...

But a free upgrade from a 17" PB to a 17" MBP?! I would be pretty darn happy with that.

I wonder what will happen with your PB

CC74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
It does suck that your laptop was gone for so long...

But a free upgrade from a 17" PB to a 17" MBP?! I would be pretty darn happy with that.

I wonder what will happen with your PB

yes the free upgrade was a surprise!!!! Apple does pull through on occasion....

Apple took back my old laptop....not sure what will happen to it.

Chack

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2006
Portland, OR
My 15" 400mhz G4 Powerbook has this problem, but it started maybe 4 years into its lifetime. Do all LCD screens get around to doing this eventually? It seems like the number of lines is increasing at an exponential rate.

I have a C2D MacBook Pro on order, so my suffering will soon be alleviated, but I'm really going to be bummed if this starts happening on that computer 4 years from now. I mean, this current computer is still very useful, but if the screen completely fills with lines, it will be unusable (except as a "desktop" with an external monitor).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.