17' Powerbook G4 worth $299?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JesseC45, Mar 31, 2010.

1. JesseC45 macrumors newbie

I have an opportunity to purchase a 17' Powerbook G4 from 2005 for $299 and I wanted to know if it is a good deal/worth the price?

The specs are below...
    - 1.67 ghz Power PC processor
    - 100 GB Harddrive
    - 1 GB Ram
    - Running 10.4 Tiger OSX
    - Screen was replaced 2 years ago
    - Battery only lasts about 30 mins

The only thing I am concerned with is the battery as those things cost $129 in the Apple store and that brings the price into a used Macbook Pro range so is it really worth it?

2. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

$300 is actually a fair price, my local Apple retailer was going to by my 12" for about the same price range, so it is a really good price.

However PowerPC is older then the hills now, and all you can do with it is basic net, Youtube or any flash video are unbearable to watch, and its just not worth having unless you plan on collecting, if you are looking for a good computer that will last you, go with a refurbished Macbook.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i wouldnt by anything not intel no matter the price

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's a good price, but I wouldn't buy it because Power PC is pretty much dead in terms of ability to run upcoming Apple applications (the OS can't be upgrade to Snow Leopard, so expect other applications not to run either sooner or later).

5. YsOuucK macrumors newbie

I would buy it, doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. Just weigh the pros and cons :)