17" Powerbook LCD Screen Problems**PLZ HELP**

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dexitron, Dec 3, 2007.

1. dexitron macrumors newbie

Hi there... I bought a 17" Powerbook and the LCD has lines down it..Recently it has a big band of flickering lights. The lines arent too annoying, but the band takes up 6cm (2") of the screen so I cant read anything on that part of the screen.

Being the sort of person who will try to find a remedy, I plugged the powerbook into a Overhead projector to see if the graphics card was playing up, but the image was fine on there... Which leads me to believe that it may be the monitor??

I just want to be sure I know what it is before I commit to buying a new monitor or getting a new Graphics card put in, SO IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS A SOLUTION, OR ANY IDEAS WHAT IT MIGHT BE, I WOULD BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL!! I have attached pics of the problem, please check it may be quite useful....

Thankyou in advance, I luv my mac's - I have 3!! (and Ill prob get more too):)

Attached Files:

2. HDproducer macrumors member

I had other problems with my monitor, and as I researched it, I found lots of posts from people with the same problem. From what I found, it is a monitor problem, and you'll have to get a new one.

You can just replace the LCD if you are adventurous. I had some dings and dents on my monitor, and other issues so I replaced the entire thing. That was a rather easy task and saved me $150.

I found a web site with really good instructions for replacing the screen. But I have the link saved on my PC at work. I will see if I can post the link tomorrow.

3. dexitron thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou so much! That would be a great help!! Im sort of glad that it is the screen, because its probably alot easier than changing the graphics card!!

If you would rather email me the link: dexitron@gmail.com

Once again, Many many thanks and merry xmas Alan