Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
How long before this technology is used in the Air?

Isnt it already a non removable battery/ would it be an easy change?

CBX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Didn't realize it was the same tech as they made such a big deal about it in the Pro model.

Must have passed me by on the Air...

xerikx

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Wish my air actually had good battery life then, I can get like 3 hours max :cool:

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
This technology is already being used in the air and has been for about a year since it came out.

Really? Do you have any links you can provide? The 17" uses a chip controller, I haven't read anything on the MBA pertaining to this.

If you are right, then the new 17" will be a disaster as the MBA can't live up to its 5 hour promise.

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
This technology is already being used in the air and has been for about a year since it came out.

Just because the 17" Pro's battery is internal like the Air, it doesn't mean it's the same technology. For one thing they are claiming 2-3X more charge cycles than a typical battery...which you can't just accomplish by making a battery bigger. Hopefully the Air will get the technology at some point as well.

Kan-O-Z

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Didn't realize it was the same tech as they made such a big deal about it in the Pro model.

Must have passed me by on the Air...

Kind of like how 'Precision Unibody' was such a big 'new' thing despite them already using it on the Air for ~9 months prior to that

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
You know... I was wondering the same thing.
How could the MBA last with 4 hours, for being so small, and a brand new MBP last 8 hours?
My MBA currently is probably lasting about 3 hours or less. :confused:

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Really? Do you have any links you can provide? The 17" uses a chip controller, I haven't read anything on the MBA pertaining to this.

If you are right, then the new 17" will be a disaster as the MBA can't live up to its 5 hour promise.

All apple batteries have a chip controller, its nothing new, theyre placed in different places sometimes, how do you think on the MB and MBP's you can press the side and see your remaining charge?

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
All apple batteries have a chip controller, its nothing new, theyre placed in different places sometimes, how do you think on the MB and MBP's you can press the side and see your remaining charge?

I wasn't referring to green LEDs. It seems each battery cell in monitored and managed (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17inch-battery/), which seems to be new. Your assertion is that the MBA always had this technology. If that's true, then this technology doesn't work too well.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I wasn't referring to green LEDs. It seems each battery cell in monitored and managed (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/17inch-battery/), which seems to be new. Your assertion is that the MBA always had this technology. If that's true, then this technology doesn't work too well.

It doesnt work to well, and it did always have this technology, all theyve done thats new is give the 17" a bigger battery, the manufacturing proccess is still the same. They all have this intelligent recharge chip too, but in the 17" its been slightly updated to work a bit better, but only times going to tell us that when theyre released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.