17'' Protection + Anti-glare aftermarket option?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dudeitsjay, Aug 3, 2009.

1. dudeitsjay macrumors regular

http://www.lookingdeals.com/quality...otector-for-apple-macbook-pro-17-unibody.html
    Anyone try this one out? I've just ordered one, and I guess if i'm the first, I'll give a review of it when I get it ASAP.

also, I got the glossy screen and I am sorely regretting it, as I am getting extremely annoyed by the constant reflections sogging up my screen. Any1 have an aftermarket solution in terms of applying a screen cover or something? ivisor is only for 13'' and 15'' =[.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It isn't advertised as an anti-glare option FYI...

3. dudeitsjay thread starter macrumors regular

sorry, let me clarify. I'm mentioning two items in question. One (the one linked) which I ordered as a cheaper alternative to the invisible shield as a full body guard, and the second regarding an alternative aftermarket anti-glare screen cover for the 17'' (didn't get the matte option, i kick myself), of which I haven't been able to find yet.

Sorry for the confusion in the title, though my first post should've made the distinction clear.

4. sclough macrumors regular

The usual suspects for anti-glare are PowerSupport, ViewGuard, and Photodon. The problem is that they introduce a fair amount of speckling, especially on whites although they do kill the glare and otherwise look like matte. I personally can't stand glossy or the reflections, but the speckling was too much so I took the anti-glare off and I'm hoping against hope that Apple will add an anti-glare option and I can swap this machine.

I've seen all three and the Photodon one darkened the screen a little so the PowerSupport or ViewGuard one is probably best. People will complain about the install on PowerSupport, but it can be done well if you use the steamed bathroom trick, latex gloves, and make sure the screen is completely clean.