17" screen puts my former 15" Unibody to shame

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sir Cecil, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

What a joy! After two 15" unibodies that showed horrible light bleed from the sides and that awful "theater Lighting" effect at the bottom, I took the plunge and traded up to the 17" (glossy).
    I'd been hesitant to do so, mostly because of the cost, and wondering if I should just put up with the light bleed. But looking at this fantastic 17" screen, I'm delighted. Beautiful even lighting with no light bleed or unevenness to moan about and definitely no theater lights to be seen.
    The first 17" I picked up had a scratch on the lid, so they switched it for a second one which I inspected in store and this is faultless in finish and, so far, operation. This is the best "pride of ownership" feeling I've had with an Apple product, and I've owned quite a few.
    Another thing I notice is that when alongside the 24" Apple LED monitor, both screens now look like a very well matched pair. With the 15", I could never match the two as closely as I'd like.
    Size? I'm barely aware the unit is bigger than the 15". Whether holding it or looking at it on its M-Stand, it doesn't appear to me to be oversized or over heavy at all. But when I look at the actual screen... sheer bliss!
    Fingers crossed nothing lets the show down as I get down to serious business with this fantastic computer and also benefit from its higher specs. Two thumbs up!

Addition: Another bonus... I checked and I hear no problems at all with the headphone sound output. That's been a concern with the last generation or two of MBPs, including the 15" unibody, but everything sounds clean and right with this one. I use an external firewire audio interface anyway, so I was never really bothered with how well the headphone output worked, but those who have experienced problems before will be pleased to hear this has apparently been resolved.

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Congratulations on your purchase, glad you're happy with it. :)

3. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I agree with you 100% on all accounts. I had the 13" MacBook Unibody, then 15" MBP Unibody, and now the 17" MBP unibody. Each one got better, but the 17" is by far the best.

While my screen isn't perfect, there is very little backlight leakage, I'm very happy with it. I'm also happy with the headphone output. I'm an audio guy myself and don't hear anything wrong with it.

If anyone is thinking twice about the 17" or considering a 15" instead and is on the fence, definitely go with the 17". You won't regret it.

4. Sir Cecil thread starter macrumors 6502a

With the 15", I couldn't bear using a screensaver with a black background. It would highlight all that light bleed.
    Now, I'm sitting looking at a screensaver with a black background, smiling contentedly.:):)

5. pkagel macrumors regular

Glad y'all are happy. I guess I'm lucky and have absolutely no problems with my 15 MBP

6. workerbee macrumors member

Stop it already

Could all of you please stop writing these glowing/gloating reviews about the 17" screen? Otherwise, you'll wear me (not very happy with 15" Unibody screen) down in no time. :)

Oh and Sir Cecil, how do you compare the MBP 17" screen to your 24" iMac's, if I may be so bold as to ask?

7. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

But the 17" is just so amazing.. I can't keep my eyes off it..

8. pixel888 macrumors newbie

17" display dimmer?

I looked at the new 17" in my local Apple store and it definitely looked dimmer then the 15" right next to it. I even checked that the brightness was maxed on both and the color profiles were the same. Has anyone else seen this?

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I would just like to point out that with any of Apples Unibody Macbooks and Macbook Pros, noone should be using a screensaver as it burns the LED backlight out quicker than just letting the screen turn off after a minuet.

Although I completely agree with the OP, my 17" Unibody puts my 15" to shame in so many ways, i cant imagine only after 2 days of using this ever going back to a 15" screen, even games are way way better on this screen, and watching 1080 movies is just heaven.

10. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

...watching yourself smiling contentedly in the mirror you mean ;)

Great news though that the 17" displays are good quality. I'm waiting to see a proper review to find out who makes the panels and what tech they're using.

11. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

This is probably a dumb question. When you say "traded up" what do you mean?

I bought a 15" Unibody (my first Mac since I was in Jr. High) and I can't take the screen resolution. I love the machine but I need 1900x1200. I feel cramped constantly. I am willing to take a hit but am a little scared of Craigslist and eBay. Wasn't sure if there are other options.

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ditto for me, I just absolutely love my 15" mbp's screen, blacks are very black, whites are white as snow. No stuck/dead pixels, no dirt, dust, backlighting is very uniform and bright and very vivid. It even does well compared to my all mighty 24" LED ACD.

I was thinking about selling my 15" unibody for the 17" mbp because I would love to have the bigger screen again but I already have the 24" LED ACD which nothing can compare to. :D

13. PeterKG macrumors 6502

My 15" also is perfect in every way, and I got a 24" LED ACD to go with it. I don't think trading up to a 17" would be worth the cost, when I already have a great setup.

14. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

I won't be using an external monitor no matter what (well unless I hook it up to my TV to watch Hulu or something). I would grab a cinema display in a heartbeat if that was an option.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I love sitting down on my nice comfy chair on my nice big roomy desk and sitting at a respectable distance away from the screen.

I remember with the 17" hi resolution (last gen model with the led backlighting) was very nice but I couldnt sit at a respectable distance on my chair when I set the 17" mbp on my desk.

The 17" is too small to pack all the 1920x1200 resolution imho, you do get used to it but there will be a lot of squinting and you always have to go close up and use the machine. You can never really just relax on your chair at a respectable distance from the 17" screen.

But I do admit that once you get used to the resolution on the 17" it is beautiful.

16. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I've just set up my new 17" MacBook Pro and sweet Jesus is that screen beautiful. It's so bright, colourful and sharp.

I originally bought a MacBook and returned it because the screen was awful, and swapped it for a 15" MacBook Pro. I loved the screen on that as it was bright, sharp and vivid. The high resolution screen of the 17" model along with the long battery life were enough to get me to sell the 15" to buy the 17". I don't regret it at all, the screen is incredible, and that's not bad considering how much I loved the 15" display.

Actually, now I've just noticed it, it makes my 20" Cinema Displays look horrible!

17. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

I think I am going to have to do it and just suck up the loss if I keep hearing things like this. For those of you who sold the MBP Unibody, did you use ebay, craigslist, or something else. I am willing to sell it for a reasonable price but it looks like every ebay transaction is a potential disaster.

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Use the trading section on this site.

19. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

I believe there is a 250 post minimum. I lurk more than I post. I think I'm 200 short.

20. workerbee macrumors member

Shame be on thee

Gentlemen, regretfully I have to tell you that entirely through your own handling of the matter at hand, my resistance has proven futile, and I have been lured into acquiring what's been discussed here.

:p