17" UMBP - AG vs Glassy (Weight, not picture)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbadalucco, Jun 25, 2009.

1. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

I don't want to discuss the picture or preferences between these two screens but wanted to discuss my experiences (I've had both) in weight.

In my opinion I was shocked at how much noticeable heavier the the glossy was over the anti-glare. I can't imagine the glossy weighing much more, but I could tell.

Anyway, I was just shocked at the weight difference...to me, its probably something I would consider in the future.

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i believe the correct terminology is glossy. both of the screens are pretty glassy considering they are made of glass

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

What? I thought the anti-glare model was not glass, but the same material all other matte lcds use.

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

either way, he was using the term glassy in place of glossy

i thought they were both glass but maybe not

5. L0s7man macrumors 6502

Yup, you're right mate. Glassy (that is Apple version of glossy ;P) screen in Macbooks is normal glossy screen with an *additional* glass cover (supposedly for 'protection' and fancy look; I think that scratching the screen is kinda extreme and rarely happens and you can scratch glass anyway, so I don't really see the point of this whole glass cover)

So, if you removed the glass, your screen would be perfectly fine normal screen and you'd get a screen that any (most perhaps? mirroring Apple (pun intended), someone must be putting glass cover on their screens by now) other laptop (glossy) has.

Also worth noting that glass adds extra reflection, especially on the black bezel, which is no backlit so the reflection is really strong.

Take a look at MBA - glossy, but nice. Not too glossy, with nice silver, non reflective bezel. Or the old glossy Macbook Pro - at first glance you wouldn't see the difference between the matte and glossy.

It's when Apple added glass into the equation, then the things went horribly wrong...

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

the extra weight and reflection issues are minuses. not positives

7. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Does anybody know exact weight difference? 100g? 150g? maybe more?

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

probably negligible for real-world conditions. I remember picking both models up at the apple store and I couldn't tell the difference.

9. bbadalucco thread starter macrumors 6502

You could be right as far as "real world differences" but I swear I could tell the minute I picked up the glossy 17" vs the anti glare one.

10. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

To avoid further confusion I propose the idea of refering to the two screens as: "The Mirror and the Matte"... :D