17 uMBP battery tests/calibration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZMacintosh, May 5, 2009.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

I mainly use my 17 as a desktop replacement and usually keep it plugged in to drive my 30" Display.
    Im not sure if this is a decent battery as ive seen users state that usually after a few cycles the charge goes up but mine has been steadily declining.

Ive gone through all the apple battery tips & support sites..im just curious if I should doe a few more cycles? this computer is only about a week and a half old.

I let it run on saturday from 10pm and it finally went into auto sleep at 1pm the next day (for 6hours I had it in sleep mode) nothing was conencted at the time (brightness as 4 notches, blue tooth turned off, wifi on, firefox and itunes open) so the battery life is fairly solid for being seldom used for roughly 14hours.

Here is the original prior to cycling and testing the battery:
    Manufacturer: DP
    Device name: bq20z951
    Pack Lot Code: 0000
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0042
    Hardware Revision: 0001
    Cell Revision: 0119
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 12787
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 12787
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 1
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 8330

Battery Health: 98%
    Battery Charge: 100%
    ---

Now after two cycles it reads:

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 12589
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 12654
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 2
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 8316

Battery Health: 97%
    Battery Charge: 100%

2. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

Im still at 100% on my 17 uni with about 25 cycles and ours are about the same age. You deff. Shouldent be seeing any battery health decline yet. The problem is that you keep it plugged in to often you dont give your battery a chance to "excercise". See what i did was in the begining i would fully charge let it drain to about 20% then charge it fully again. But for about the last two weeks ive been leaving it plugged in for about 5 days then letting it drain to about 20% then leave it plugged in for 5 days and so on. So you should start letting it get its cycle count up before you just leave it charged then re calibrate it and you should be good.

3. ZMacintosh thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

hm.... alright yeah i also use a macbook that is at 100% 3 months old and has 5 cycles and the capacity and battery charge has gone up extensively and that is also usually plugged in most of the time.

i'll let it drain a bit and cycle around, overall its a very nice computer.
    i mean if it can last for seldom usage over 14hours then i think its pretty tip top even though I wasnt taxing it greatly.

thanks for tips I appreciate it!